Posted to dev@rya.apache.org by "Aaron D. Mihalik" <aa...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/05 17:16:49 UTC

Merging Release back into Master?

Hey devs,

How are we going to handle merging the release back into master?  master
has moved ahead since David marked the release and now the release branch
is "2 commits ahead, 10 commits behind master." [1]

I propose pulling the 10 commits added to master on top of the release
branch and then doing a force push of that onto master.  what do you all
think?

--Aaron

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-rya/tree/3.2.11-RC3

Re: Merging Release back into Master?

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Aaron D. Mihalik
<aa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue with the merge that master is in a funny state for the 10 new
> commits.  If someone checked out the code at any point within those 10
> commits, the POMs would be 3.2.11-SNAPSHOT and the release wouldn't be in
> the history.
>
> Master is fine (i.e. 3.2.12-SNAPSHOT) after the merge commit, so I think
> that is okay.
>
> I think having the 10 funny commits is better than doing a force push and
> causing work for people with existing forks of Rya.

I would agree, avoid the forced push.  Other than the tagged ones, one
can't really make assumptions about the state of commits in branches
under active development.

Posted by "Aaron D. Mihalik" <aa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Puja Valiyil <pu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Lotts <dl...@gmail.com>.