Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/28 20:05:26 UTC

Unifying the config.xml

Hi All,
I am working on a set of plugins for Eclipse that will eventually be part
of the JBoss IDE. I seem to have similar requirements to cordova-cli and
noticed that some of the things that are planned for cli is well aligned
with our plans. So I am hoping to contribute as much as I can.

We also use W3 widget packaging spec based config.xml as a blanket to
configure a Cordova App for all platforms. However there are differences on
the config.xml that each platform consumes compared to the W3 spec and as
you can imagine a more uniform platform behaviour makes our life a bit
better. So I have tried to take a shot at unifying the differences between
platforms and created pull requests for android[1]. iOS[2] and CLI[3]. I
think with these PRs JIRA[4] for migrating from <plugin> to <feature>
should be resolved (at least for iOS and Android) and its parent[5] should
be updated.

The changes are compatible with the existing config.xmls on iOS and
Android, I think it will be even possible to mix and match the new syntax
<feature> with the old ones.

[1] https://github.com/apache/cordova-android/pull/41
[2] https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/pull/45
[3] https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/pull/7

Gorkem

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
We are about to tag 2.7.0rc1, so we'll hold off on adding this in until we
branch for the 2.7.0 release, then merge the config stuff into master.

Sorry for the wait!

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>.
Hey Fil,

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
Hey Gorkem,

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>.
> [...]
Gorkem

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM, Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great! PRs are updated with the suggested changes
> --
> Gorkem
>

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>wrote:
>
>> Yep, sounds good to me!
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I see your point... I have unified the template config.xmls on all
>> > platforms, perhaps it would be a better idea to differentiate the
>> template
>> > config.xml per platform so that the values from other platforms are not
>> > spread to all... CLIs template can still carry the values of all
>> platforms
>> > that is its purpose anyway. If that sounds fine I will update the PR.

Gorkem
http://www.gorkem-ercan.com

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > > but
> > > agreed
> > > >

> > > I'm not so much focused on what the attribute is called, but rather I
> > feel
> > > more strongly that we shouldn't put iOS-specific things in Android's
> > > config.xml and vice-versa. Reason being is that if you extrapolate this
> > > our ~10 platforms, that's a tonne of duplicated settings, and any tweak
> > you
> > > want to make to one, you need to then make in ~10 repositories.
> > >
> > > Instead, what we should do is move to using cordova-cli's config.xml be
> > the
> > > unified version:
> > >

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cordova-cli.git;a=blob;f=templates/www/config.xml;h=206bc5698780acda1863c4612cc36291a15b0472;hb=HEAD
> > >
> > > Note though that we don't have <feature> in here, since they are

Gorkem
http://www.gorkem-ercan.com

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Yep, sounds good to me!

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > element with a platform. I think this is something that needs to be
> agreed
> > and continued.
> >

> I'm not so much focused on what the attribute is called, but rather I feel
> more strongly that we shouldn't put iOS-specific things in Android's
> config.xml and vice-versa. Reason being is that if you extrapolate this to
> our ~10 platforms, that's a tonne of duplicated settings, and any tweak you
> want to make to one, you need to then make in ~10 repositories.
>
> Instead, what we should do is move to using cordova-cli's config.xml be the
> unified version:
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cordova-cli.git;a=blob;f=templates/www/config.xml;h=206bc5698780acda1863c4612cc36291a15b0472;hb=HEAD
>
> Note though that we don't have <feature> in here, since they are defined in

Gorkem
http://www.gorkem-ercan.com

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> to deal with putting in the correct versions per platform.
>
> E.g., if iOS adds something to its template config.xml file, I don't want
> to have to add this value to each platform's config.xml file.

I wanted to keep it within the spec because any extensions to the widget
spec needs a wider concencus . I used the $platform-package convention but
could be any of the other options as long as it allows us to mark the
element with a platform. I think this is something that needs to be agreed
and continued.

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Shazron <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes please. I want to get this pain all over with :)
> >

> > On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds good!
> > >
> > > Ping Shaz, Andrew, Michal, Joe, Simon, and anyone else involved in

Gorkem
http://www.gorkem-ercan.com

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Some feedback:

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
Sounds good!

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>.
Hi Filip,
> [...]

> >> We also use W3 widget packaging spec based config.xml as a blanket to
> >> configure a Cordova App for all platforms. However there are
> >>differences on
> >> the config.xml that each platform consumes compared to the W3 spec and
> >>as
> >> you can imagine a more uniform platform behaviour makes our life a bit
> >> better. So I have tried to take a shot at unifying the differences
> >>between
> >> platforms and created pull requests for android[1]. iOS[2] and CLI[3]. I
> >> think with these PRs JIRA[4] for migrating from <plugin> to <feature>
> >> should be resolved (at least for iOS and Android) and its parent[5]
> >>should
> >> be updated.
> >>
> >> The changes are compatible with the existing config.xmls on iOS and
> >> Android, I think it will be even possible to mix and match the new

Gorkem
http://www.gorkem-ercan.com

Re: Unifying the config.xml

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.