Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Phillip Rhodes <sp...@rhoderunner.com> on 2007/06/06 16:31:32 UTC

How fragile is XMLPersistenceManager?

Long story short, I need to rush some applications to production because of circumstances beyond my control...  Like today!

I have been running my jackrabbit repo in the test environment with the XMLPersistenceManager

How fragile is this persistance manager? I wouldn't worry if a certain node would be corrupted if the JVM is killed in the middle of writing an XML file, but is it possible for the entire repository to be corrupted?  That of course would be very, very bad...

Is the SimpleDbPersistenceManager the only safe bet?

How hard is to to migrate from one persistence manager to another?  Is it a custom migration that I would have to write to manually read one repo and write to the other?

Thanks for all your help!

BTW, stitches on jackrabbit is going to be powering all the data-driven (not design elements) images for one of the top tourism sites in the country :)

Re: How fragile is XMLPersistenceManager?

Posted by Cédric Damioli <ce...@anyware-tech.com>.
Paco Avila a écrit :
> El mié, 06-06-2007 a las 19:44 +0200, Cédric Damioli escribió:
>
>> Paco Avila a écrit :

>>> Which filesystem did you use before and now?
>>>

>> Before : ext3 on redhat and now : raiserfs on debian
>>
>> But now, with the JCR-692 solved, you can use the FS you want.
>>

> Do I need some extra configuration in the Jackrabbit XML repository
> descriptor (NodePathTemplate)?

I imagine you have to.
As I said, the fix was not available two years ago when my project did
go in production, so I worked around the problem instead of fixing it.

Cédric Damioli
ANYWARE TECHNOLOGIES
Tel : +33 (0)5 61 00 73 47
Fax : +33 (0)5 61 00 51 46
http://www.anyware-tech.com

Re: How fragile is XMLPersistenceManager?

Posted by Paco Avila <pa...@git.es>.

--
Paco Avila <pa...@git.es>

Re: How fragile is XMLPersistenceManager?

Posted by Cédric Damioli <ce...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Paco Avila <pa...@git.es>.

Posted by Cédric Damioli <ce...@anyware-tech.com>.
More or less 100k nodes in the workspace

Version histories are also stored using the XMLPM and there are more or
less 500k version nodes

Regards,
Cédric

--
Cédric Damioli
Directeur de projets

Re: How fragile is XMLPersistenceManager?

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <sp...@rhoderunner.com>.
I have many small files, no large files.

Posted by Cédric Damioli <ce...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Frédéric Esnault <fe...@legisway.com>.
As far as i know :

1. XMLPersistenceManager should NOT be used for production, unless you do not need performance at all;
2. JVM death is one of the "ugly" cases of your tests cases, and I would bet that XMLPersistenceManager is not ready to assume this case. Take care to wrap your operations in transactions...and forget the word "performance";
3.Repository consistency is essential imo, so as long as there is a possibility that yours become inconsistent, then either fix this or change your options;
4. Yes, I think simpleDBPersistenceManager is - currently - the only safe one;
5. migration shouldn't be hard, connect to one persistence manager, use the session.exportSystemView (or document view), then connect to the other one and import the data with session or workspace imports (workspace import doesn't need a save, no session is used, changed are immediately persisted).

BTW, I would be delighted to hear about your experience with Jackrabbit as a production CMS, and I don't think I'm the only one. Please share your successes and problems with the community ;)