Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Karuppu Samy <cs...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/31 20:14:09 UTC

High CPU usage - tomcat 7 and need solutions

Hi Team,

I find tomcat is using high CPU usage in my server. Is there any way to
limit the memoryCPU resource limit for tomcat 7?  Any guide??

tomcat
88.5 jsvc.exec -user tomcat -cwd /usr/local/easy/share/easy-tomcat7
-pidfile /var/run/easy-tomcat7.pid -cp
/usr/local/easy/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/easy/bin/tomcat-juli.jar:/usr/local/easy/share/java/commons-daemon.jar
-Djava.endorsed.dirs/usr/local/easy/share/easy-tomcat7/endorsed -outfile
/var/log/easy-tomcat7/catalina.out -errfile
/var/log/easy-tomcat7/catalina.err -verbose
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start tomcat
67.3 jsvc.exec -user tomcat -cwd /usr/local/easy/share/easy-tomcat7
-pidfile /var/run/easy-tomcat7.pid -cp
/usr/local/easy/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/easy/bin/tomcat-juli.jar:/usr/local/easy/share/java/commons-daemon.jar
-Djava.endorsed.dirs/usr/local/easy/share/easy-tomcat7/endorsed -outfile
/var/log/easy-tomcat7/catalina.out -errfile
/var/log/easy-tomcat7/catalina.err -verbose
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start tomcat
43.1 jsvc.exec -user tomcat -cwd /usr/local/easy/share/easy-tomcat7

RE: High CPU usage - tomcat 7 and need solutions

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Karuppu Samy [mailto:cskaruppu@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: High CPU usage - tomcat 7 and need solutions

> I need suggestion to limit the memory /CPU limit for tomcat. Is there any
> variable to setup to limit this?

1. Don't top post.

2. Your question pertains more to your operating system, not Tomcat.

3. You really need to profile your applications and fix whatever is in there that's eating up your CPU.

 - Chuck

Re: High CPU usage - tomcat 7 and need solutions

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
On 8/31/2013 7:05 PM, Karuppu Samy wrote:
> I need suggestion to limit the memory /CPU limit for tomcat. Is there any
> variable to setup to limit this?
>

> On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 2:31 AM, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> Karuppu Samy wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Team,
>>>
>>> I find tomcat is using high CPU usage in my server. Is there any way to
>>> limit the memoryCPU resource limit for tomcat 7?  Any guide??
>>>

>> Remove your applications ?

I second André's suggestion.

You're using jsvc it appears.

You could use -Xms and -Xmx arguments to constrain the memory. However,
this is unlikely to give you what you want.

You could use OS commands to constrain CPU usage. However, this is
unlikely to give you what you want.

If your application is well-behaved, you just may need a bigger system.

If your application is poorly behaved, then you need to fix your
application.

As André was trying to gently point out, this is an application problem
and not a Tomcat problem.

Since we know nothing of your application, there is nothing (short of
Pid's crystal ball) that we can offer that will be of use.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/

Re: High CPU usage - tomcat 7 and need solutions

Posted by Karuppu Samy <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.