Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> on 2016/06/28 16:26:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] FLIP 1 - Flink Improvement Proposal

I'm proposing to add a formal process for how we deal with (major)
improvements to Flink and design docs. This has been mentioned several
times recently but we never took any decisive action to actually implement
such a process so here we go.

Right now, we have Jira issues and we sometimes we have design docs that we
keep in Google Docs. Jamie recently added links to those that he could find
on the mailing list to the Flink wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Apache+Flink+Home. The
problem with these is that a) the comments on the Google Docs are not
reflected in Jira and the mailing list. There has been some very active
discussion on some of the docs that most people would never notice. The
community therefore might seem less active than it actually is. b) the
documents are not very discoverable, if we had a clearly defined place
where we put them and also prominently link to this on the Flink homepage
this would greatly help people that try to find out about current
developments.

Kafka has a process like this:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+Improvement+Proposals.
They call it KIP, for Kafka Improvement Proposal. We could either adapt
this for Flink or come up with our own process. Doing the former would save
us a lot of time and I don't think the Kafka community would mind us
copying their process. The subject also hints at this, our process could be
called FLIP, for Flink Improvement Proposal.

What do you think? Feedback is highly welcome. :-)

Cheers,
Aljoscha

Re: [DISCUSS] FLIP 1 - Flink Improvement Proposal

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
Great initiative! I think mailing list discussions can be very hard to
follow in retrospective. The Kafka community does a great job in
summing up the discussions on individual wiki pages. We should do that
as well!

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.