Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rez <po...@hotmail.com> on 2009/01/28 01:17:49 UTC

Screwed Revision Numbers in SVN

I just did a test migration from cvs to svn and downloaded both RapidSVN and SmartSVN Windows clients, checked out some modules or projects and in the right pane I see the file and folder revision numbers not adhering to most version control conventional format, as in, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 but in SVN format and how SVN bumps up the entire repository revision every time an iota of data is changed.

So nuaturally my migration imported about 15000 revisions. Is there anyway to tell the client applications to show the real file revision in their sequential format as practiced by CVS, ClearCase, Perforce and many other conventional version controls?  It's so much easier to discuss file revisions in conventional format such as what changed in rev 1.3 of hello.java vs. its 1.2 revision, one automatically would know that we're discussing the next revision of the file as opposed to SVN's format comparing hello.java 11252(being 1.1) vs. 13605(heing 1.2), how would one discern that 13605 is only revision 1.2 of the file?

Thanks

Re: Screwed Revision Numbers in SVN

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 27, 2009, at 19:17, Rez wrote:

> I just did a test migration from cvs to svn and downloaded both
> RapidSVN and SmartSVN Windows clients, checked out some modules or
> projects and in the right pane I see the file and folder revision
> numbers not adhering to most version control conventional format,
> as in, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 but in SVN format and how SVN bumps up the
> entire repository revision every time an iota of data is changed.
>
> So nuaturally my migration imported about 15000 revisions. Is there
> anyway to tell the client applications to show the real file
> revision in their sequential format as practiced by CVS, ClearCase,
> Perforce and many other conventional version controls?  It's so
> much easier to discuss file revisions in conventional format such
> as what changed in rev 1.3 of hello.java vs. its 1.2 revision, one
> automatically would know that we're discussing the next revision of
> the file as opposed to SVN's format comparing hello.java 11252
> (being 1.1) vs. 13605(heing 1.2), how would one discern that 13605
> is only revision 1.2 of the file?

No, you cannot have revision numbers that way in Subversion. For an
explanation of Subversion's revision number scheme, see

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.forcvs.revnums.html

and

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#globalrev

RE: Screwed Revision Numbers in SVN

Posted by Filipe Brandenburger <li...@idilia.com>.
> So nuaturally my migration imported about 15000 revisions.

How did you do the conversion? I did my conversion using cvs2svn, it detects which files in CVS were committed at the same time (it does its best, since it's really impossible to get it right in all cases) and simulates all the file commits as an atomic commit in Subversion, therefore reducing the total number of revisions you will have in your converted repository.

Regarding your confusion over the repository version instead of file version, the Subversion way of doing it makes much more sense, in CVS you had to keep lots of tags to know which versions of which files went together, in Subversion with one revision number only you have an accurate snapshot of what all your files looked like at that time. It really makes much more sense, so just try and get used to it, you will not regret it.

Re: Screwed Revision Numbers in SVN

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 20:17, Rez <po...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I just did a test migration from cvs to svn and downloaded both RapidSVN and
> SmartSVN Windows clients, checked out some modules or projects and in the
> right pane I see the file and folder revision numbers not adhering to most
> version control conventional format, as in, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 but in SVN format
> and how SVN bumps up the entire repository revision every time an iota of
> data is changed.
>
> So nuaturally my migration imported about 15000 revisions. Is there anyway
> to tell the client applications to show the real file revision in their
> sequential format as practiced by CVS, ClearCase, Perforce and many other
> conventional version controls?

What you're seeing is a fundamental difference in the versioning
philosophy between SVN and those other systems. See
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.basic.in-action.html#svn.basic.in-action.revs

A version number other than the revision number would be a special
property or meaning that you've attached to that file, so you would
need a custom client to pick that up and display it. And set it each
time you commit a change to each file. It gets unwieldy fast because
SVN just plain isn't meant to work that way.

>  It's so much easier to discuss file
> revisions in conventional format such as what changed in rev 1.3 of
> hello.java vs. its 1.2 revision, one automatically would know that we're
> discussing the next revision of the file as opposed to SVN's format
> comparing hello.java 11252(being 1.1) vs. 13605(heing 1.2), how would one
> discern that 13605 is only revision 1.2 of the file?

By looking at the file's log history.