Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Coleman <mc...@hotmail.com> on 2003/05/12 18:43:40 UTC

java tomcat 3 speed issues - servlets

hi, I have been using tomcat 3 ( i know its slightly older version) and I
have many servlets in which are querying/updating an access database using
JDBC... however, at first when i run my application, login, click around a
bit, the servlets take about less than 1 second to respond, and rightly so
as they are only being tested on the local host...

But, after ive been doing that for a few minutes, it starts to go really
slow, as if Im downloading from miles away on a 33.6k modem!! If i restart
the server its fine again, but then obviously goes slow eventually.

Im not sure if its the fact that its tomcat 3, or whether I have done
something wrong in database connectivity.

Ive always made sure that resultsets and the database connections are closed
off when necessary. Any advice/similar expieriences would be good.

pc specs - pentium 3 866, 512mb ram, using winxp, jdk1.3.1, tomcat 3.2.4,

cheers

Re: java tomcat 3 speed issues - servlets

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
John is probably right about the biggest problem.  TC 3.2.x is also known to
have other memory leaks.

"John Turner" <to...@johnturner.com> wrote in message

> There are known problems with both the JDBC-ODBC bridge driver as well as
> MS Access (memory leaks, etc).  Tomcat would be the last thing I would
> suspect of being slow in that configuration.  If performance is important
> to you, I'd consider another RDBMS, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, or
Firebird.

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.