Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Ed Coleman <de...@etcoleman.com> on 2018/02/16 04:10:56 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release 1.7.4 and the 1.9.0

I'd like to propose that we start the release process for 1.7.4 and then
1.9.0. I'm willing to be the release manager for both if that would
facilitate things.

As a strawman - I propose:

March 1st - we start the formal release process of 1.7.4, with a goal that
it would be complete and released around March 15th. This would be the last
planned release of the 1.7.x line.

March 19th we start the formal release process of 1.9.0.

My real objective is to get a release of 1.9.0 that would be mostly
equivalent to what would have been an 1.8.2, with the API changes for
configuration to support Hadop-3. There seems to be some fixes in 1.8.1 that
I'd like to see released and Keith Turner seems to be making some
substantial fixes to performance issues that I'd hope to be able to take
advantage of - however, I would like to have a bound to help limit upgrade
risks.

The dates are just a starting point for discussion - if Keith has additional
fixes that we'd like to get in, but needs additional time that's fine with
me, I'm really just pushing for sooner rather than later.

Ed Coleman

Re: [DISCUSS] Release 1.7.4 and the 1.9.0

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
+1. I can also help with releasing. I think these versions are overdue, and
it's good to put a solid date as a goal, so as to wind down activity and
release what's there.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
SGTM

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I put together a test vote (see [TEST][VOTE] thread) for rc0 for 1.7.4, if
people want a semi-frozen version to test with. I tried to clean up some of
the remaining outstanding issues in JIRA for 1.7.4, but only got so far.

Please take a look and identify blockers. If anything is not marked blocker
by Monday, I will assume we're good to bump all the remaining issues and
proceed with a 1.7.4 rc1 to vote on. A lot of issued were marked
"critical", but never worked on. In some cases, questions were left
unresponded to. If any of these issues are important to you, it would be
best to mark it blocker now, and prioritize work on it, if you want your
patches in a 1.7 version (since it seems there's waning interest in
maintaining a 1.7 branch and 1.7.4 is likely the last 1.7 release). Please
do not mark items blocker if you have no intention of contributing further
to a fix in any way (I just don't think that would be helpful); instead, if
you think it should block a release but can't work on it, please try to
coordinate/discuss on list.

I can also put together an rc0 test vote for 1.9.0, but triaging issues is
going to take longer.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20ACCUMULO%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.7.4%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

Posted by Mike Walch <mw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Walch <mw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ed, this all sounds good.  Does anyone need a 1.8.2 release?

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.