Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Tae Wong <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/04 08:44:03 UTC

Dead link to complete list of languages in Native-Lang Confederation

In the Native-Lang Confederation page, this link is removed.

Note: Not all languages are represented here, only those that have
OpenOffice.org websites. For example, many of the African
localizations are not listed. A complete list is also available.

This link http://l10n.openoffice.org/languages.html uses a complete
list and is removed.

You're not subscribed to this list.

Re: Dead link to complete list of languages in Native-Lang Confederation

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 04/10/2013 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Tae Wong wrote:
>>> In the Native-Lang Confederation page, this link is removed. ...
>>> This link http://l10n.openoffice.org/languages.html uses a complete
>>> list and is removed.
>> So what do we want linked here? Localizations that are complete or
>> in-progress? If so we should just link to Pootle.
> We could reuse the same short links collection that I put at
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Languages

I've now committed slightly updated versions of
http://www.openoffice.org/projects/native-lang.html
and
http://www.openoffice.org/native-lang/
to remove broken links (in both) and obsolete language (in the former
only; the latter is quite obsolete in general).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Dead link to complete list of languages in Native-Lang Confederation

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Tae Wong wrote:
>> In the Native-Lang Confederation page, this link is removed. ...
>> This link http://l10n.openoffice.org/languages.html uses a complete
>> list and is removed.
> So what do we want linked here?  Localizations that are complete or
> in-progress?  If so we should just link to Pootle.

(Tae Wong, you are not subscribed; follow the conversation at
http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3A+org.apache.incubator.ooo-l10n )

We could reuse the same short links collection that I put at
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Languages
(except the last one).

> IMHO, we should also remove references to the NCL.  It refers to a
> unit of organization, governance and process from OpenOffice.org days
> that does not exist at Apache.

Yes, the NLC itself does not exist. The page should be rewritten by only
referencing "native languages" and "volunteers". We should still
preserve the table though: believe it or not, it is the only way for
someone visiting www.openoffice.org to reach a native-language website.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Dead link to complete list of languages in Native-Lang Confederation

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Tae Wong <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the Native-Lang Confederation page, this link is removed.
>
> Note: Not all languages are represented here, only those that have
> OpenOffice.org websites. For example, many of the African
> localizations are not listed. A complete list is also available.
>
> This link http://l10n.openoffice.org/languages.html uses a complete
> list and is removed.

So what do we want linked here?  Localizations that are complete or
in-progress?  If so we should just link to Pootle.

Or, if we want a list of all localizations, including those that are
stagnant, then we could link to this directory in the source
repository:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk/extras/l10n/source/

it is probably best to avoid trying to duplicate this
frequently-changing information on a web page.  It would quickly be
out-of-date.

IMHO, we should also remove references to the NCL.  It refers to a
unit of organization, governance and process from OpenOffice.org days
that does not exist at Apache.   We have volunteers, period.  Some
volunteers work on translations.  Some work on other things.  Some
work on translations and other things. But we all have an equal voice
in the project.

Of course, we should preserve any useful technical information from the NCL.

Regards,

-Rob