Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> on 2003/03/05 12:04:08 UTC

Some taglibs are missing a few common attributes.

We allow titleKey for the html:frame, altKey and titleKey for
html:button, and a few others, but do not allow a way to specify the
bundle or args.

Besides the obvious...

 <bean:define id="myMessage">
	<bean:message key="my.title"/>
 <bean:define>

...work-around, I'm wondering if we should add this.

I think we shouldn't.  I think the work-around is a much more flexible
and generally better solution given the options available with
bean:message.

Your thoughts?

--
James Mitchell
Web Developer/Struts Evangelist

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought
which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Re: Some taglibs are missing a few common attributes.

Posted by "David M. Karr" <dm...@earthlink.net>.

    James> We allow titleKey for the html:frame, altKey and titleKey for
    James> html:button, and a few others, but do not allow a way to specify the
    James> bundle or args.

    James> Besides the obvious...

    James>  <bean:define id="myMessage">
    James> 	<bean:message key="my.title"/>
    James>  <bean:define>

    James> ...work-around, I'm wondering if we should add this.

    James> I think we shouldn't.  I think the work-around is a much more flexible
    James> and generally better solution given the options available with
    James> bean:message.

    James> Your thoughts?

If I understand this correctly, it's certainly possible to do it with
bean:message, but it would make the resulting JSP code less maintainable (many
more lines of code).  It might be worthwhile examining exactly which tags and
attributes we're looking at changing if we added this.

Re: Some taglibs are missing a few common attributes.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
"James Mitchell" <jm...@apache.org> wrote in message

> We allow titleKey for the html:frame, altKey and titleKey for
> html:button, and a few others, but do not allow a way to specify the
> bundle or args.
>
> Besides the obvious...
>
>  <bean:define id="myMessage">
> <bean:message key="my.title"/>
>  <bean:define>

> ...work-around, I'm wondering if we should add this.
>

> I think we shouldn't.  I think the work-around is a much more flexible
> and generally better solution given the options available with
> bean:message.
>
> Your thoughts?

I believe we should add support for specifying a bundle, but I don't think
support for arguments is necessary, given the nature of these attributes. I
agree with David K that the alternatives, such as the one you presented
above, reduce the maintainability of the JSP pages.

--
Martin Cooper