Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/03 21:49:48 UTC

Advice needed - switching IP for SS

Hi guys,

I need to do manitance of 1 Seconary Storage NFS server fro few days, so I
though to temporarily rsync data to another NFS box, and switch IP
addresses, so the new NFS box has the original IP for few days...(need to
test if KVm nodes will gracefullt remount the NFS server during the IP
switchover...)

Is this the prefered way, or should I hack the DB to point existing NFS
server (that is defined in ACS) to the new IP of the second NFS box, and
perhaps restart mgmt and agents across all nodes.

Any recomendations ?

Best,

Andrija Panić

Re: Advice needed - switching IP for SS

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Remi! I will give this a try.

Cheers

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
Hi Andrija,

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Guys,

Posted by Sanjeev N <sa...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Mezentsev <da...@soleks.com>.
  Igor,

I have question. Doing such IP migration is it possible that arp cache on
the switch (assuming that we have layer 3 switch) can have old server pair
MAC<--->IP.

> Andrija, as for me the best solution:
>
> 1. shutdown data interfaces (or bond) on switch for new server after
rsync
> 2. Configure same IP as for old server
> 3. via switch CLI shutdown data ports for old server
> 4. via switch CLI startup ports for new server
> 4. Reconfigure IP for data bond old server via mgm interface to new IP
> 5. via switch CLI startup data ports for old server on switch
>
> All this can be done via ansible. Downtime will be only between steps 3
> and
> 4. And it's will be around 0,1-0,5 seconds.
>
> From cloudstack mgmt sever it's will be transparent. Possible 1-2 TCP
> retransit will happen.

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I need to do manitance of 1 Seconary Storage NFS server fro few days,
>> so I
>> though to temporarily rsync data to another NFS box, and switch IP
>> addresses, so the new NFS box has the original IP for few days...(need
>> test if KVm nodes will gracefullt remount the NFS server during the IP
>> switchover...)
>>
>> Is this the prefered way, or should I hack the DB to point existing NFS
>> server (that is defined in ACS) to the new IP of the second NFS box, and
>> perhaps restart mgmt and agents across all nodes.
>>
>> Any recomendations ?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andrija Panić

  Daniel Mezentsev, founder