Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Raj Hadoop <ha...@yahoo.com> on 2013/04/17 06:49:34 UTC

Basic Doubt in Hadoop

Hi,

I am new to Hadoop. I started reading the standard Wordcount program. I got this basic doubt in Hadoop.

After the Map - Reduce is done, where is the output generated?  Does the reducer ouput sit on individual DataNodes ? Please advise.

Thanks,
Raj

Re: Basic Doubt in Hadoop

Posted by be...@gmail.com.
You are correct, map outputs are stored in LFS not in HDFS.

Regards
Bejoy KS

Posted by maisnam ns <ma...@gmail.com>.
@Bejoy
Adding a little bit here,the ouput of map task writes first to a memory
buffer, and when contents reaches a threshold a background thread will
write the contents to disk.

Niranjan Singh

Re: Basic Doubt in Hadoop

Posted by maisnam ns <ma...@gmail.com>.
@Bejoy

Re: Basic Doubt in Hadoop

Posted by maisnam ns <ma...@gmail.com>.
@Bejoy

Re: Basic Doubt in Hadoop

Posted by maisnam ns <ma...@gmail.com>.
@Bejoy

Re: Basic Doubt in Hadoop

Posted by Ramesh R Nair <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bejoy,

Re: Basic Doubt in Hadoop

Posted by Ramesh R Nair <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bejoy,

Re: Basic Doubt in Hadoop

Posted by Ramesh R Nair <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bejoy,

Re: Basic Doubt in Hadoop

Posted by Ramesh R Nair <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bejoy,

   Regarding the output of Map phase, does  Hadoop store it in local fs or
in HDFS.
   I believe it is in the former. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Ramesh

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM, <be...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The data is in HDFS in case of WordCount MR sample.
>
> In hdfs, you have the metadata in NameNode and actual data as blocks
> replicated across DataNodes.
>
> In case of reducer, If a reducer is running on a particular node then you
> have one replica of the blocks in the same node (If there is no space
> issues) and rest replicas on other nodes.
> Regards
> Bejoy KS
>
> Sent from remote device, Please excuse typos
> ------------------------------
> *From: * Raj Hadoop <ha...@yahoo.com>
> *Date: *Tue, 16 Apr 2013 21:49:34 -0700 (PDT)
> *To: *user@hadoop.apache.org<us...@hadoop.apache.org>
> *ReplyTo: * user@hadoop.apache.org
> *Subject: *Basic Doubt in Hadoop
>
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Hadoop. I started reading the standard Wordcount program. I
> got this basic doubt in Hadoop.
>
> After the Map - Reduce is done, where is the output generated?  Does the
> reducer ouput sit on individual DataNodes ? Please advise.
>

> Thanks,
> Raj

Re: Basic Doubt in Hadoop

Posted by be...@gmail.com.