Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2012/01/17 18:32:08 UTC

deploy maven site on SVN

Hi all guys,
ASF requirements for new incubating podlings requires that sites are managed

 * via the SCM
 * via svnpubsub

At Apache Any23 we want to keep the mvn generated site for clear
reasons - the problem is that using a 3rd part ftp-wagon the deploy
procedure is slooooooooooooow and takes too much time :S

Can you suggest us please an automated site-deploy procedure using mvn
- that doesn't involve manual steps?
A turnaround would be svn checking out the target dir, deploying the
site there, then committing, but I don't think it is a friendly
procedure...

Many thanks in advance, all the best!!!!
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/1/18 Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Simone Tripodi
> <si...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Salut Arnaud,
>>
>> yes via Git is fast, I am using the
>> org.kathrynhuxtable.maven.wagon:wagon-gitsite and I can confirm it is
>> faster than SVN!
>

> Not for really big sites. it takes forever.
agree should be as fast as wagon-scm via git :-).

@Simo
Regarding deploying to asf svn, I tend to say we should have a kind of
server to put a zip and this server must be an app which unzip then
commit to svn.
Something I have in mind is to add in Archiva a feature which could be
able to receive a zipped site then unzip etc... (but that's an other
story :-) ).

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Salut Arnaud,

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
How long does it take for subsequent generations of the site? Hopefully that is then incremental - and if that works, we should be able to do the same with a commit as part of the site generation.

The Any23 site is 51M - most of which is generated by Javadoc and XRef. I don't see how Maven can do anything to improve that situation, other than perhaps optimising the JXR HTML. Previously, we'd upload 8M every time (51M zipped). With SVN, you should be uploading quite a bit first time, and then just a few 100K after that.

However, we're still not in a good enough place with the available wagons. I tried building a relatively simple multi-module site, and had the following issues:
- wagon-scm failed trying to commit a revision that already existed (I think trying to add something that was already there due to checking out with -N)
- wagon-svn failed both due to an old svnkit (had to use an old repository format to workaround), and then due to the latest site plugin's path construction
- maven-svn-wagon worked, but checked in every file each time - even when only one was changed - causing a decent bandwidth cost

So we still have work to do. I think the best approach might be to have a different deployment mode for SCM URLs - instead of using wagon, use the SCM API and use a "stage" approach where there is a persistent checkout you can update/pull, make modifications, then commit (+push) - then focus on files that change unnecessarily.

WDYT?

- Brett

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all guys,

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 19/01/2012, at 7:40 PM, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> If it depends on svnkit, apache projects _may_ have issues using it due to
> tge svnkit license.

It's not a problem to use it for deploying our site, it'd be a problem if we wanted to distribute it as part of a release. How we deploy our site is an internal thing.

That said, if we do it right, I don't think the svn.exe <-> svnkit speed difference should be much on updates (and we'll just have to suffer with the speed of the initial checkin).

- Brett

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

>>> http://brettporter.wordpress.**com/ <http://brettporter.wordpress.com/>
>>> http://au.linkedin.com/in/**brettporter<http://au.linkedin.com/in/brettporter>

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Oleg!!!

> On the other hand - I remember trying to push the generated site directly to
> the svn using both wagon-svn and maven-svn-wagon and in the end I decided to
> generate the new site on the local filesystem instead and then manually
> checkout old site, overwrite it with the generated files and manually commit
> the modified version back.

that is exactly what we do in Cocoon, it's not what I really like
(because requires extra manual steps) but at least it should work :)

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all!

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/1/17 Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>:
> Hi all guys,
> ASF requirements for new incubating podlings requires that sites are managed
>
>  * via the SCM
>  * via svnpubsub
>
> At Apache Any23 we want to keep the mvn generated site for clear
> reasons - the problem is that using a 3rd part ftp-wagon the deploy
> procedure is slooooooooooooow and takes too much time :S

Agree that wagon scm is slow
(http://maven.apache.org/wagon/wagon-providers/wagon-scm/usage.html)
as it's a per file deploy/commit.

> Can you suggest us please an automated site-deploy procedure using mvn
> - that doesn't involve manual steps?
> A turnaround would be svn checking out the target dir, deploying the
> site there, then committing, but I don't think it is a friendly
> procedure...
I don't see better solution :-(

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Ant!!!! :)

I got a reply from danielsh on JIRA[1] that simpli didn't allow me
publishing the site via scp. I would really appreciate if you could
help me to fix the misunderstanding, if any!!!

Re: deploy maven site on SVN

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.