Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/25 07:55:16 UTC

Apache Netbeans 11 - Building from Source

Hi Team,

On the site at page
https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb110/nb110.html#_building_from_source
the mirror link for downloading the source ZIP refers to incubator

The wording on this page also contains:

Building from source

To build Apache NetBeans (incubating) 11.0 from source you need:

   1.

   Oracle’s Java 8 or Open JDK v8.
   2.

   Apache Ant 1.10 or greater (https://ant.apache.org).

Once you have everything installed then:

   1.

   Unzip incubating-netbeans-11.0-source.zip
   <https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-11.0/incubating-netbeans-11.0-source.zip>
in
   a directory of your liking.
   2.

   cd to that directory, and then run ant to build the Apache NetBeans IDE.
   Once built you can run the IDE by typing ./nbbuild/netbeans/bin/netbeans

I believe that we have to remove this incubator word from this page.  Where
should be the new link point for Apache NetBeans 11 sources?

with regards
Tushar

Re: Apache Netbeans 11 - Building from Source

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 25 May 2019, 08:55 Tushar Joshi, <tu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that we have to remove this incubator word from this page.

AFAIK we keep this because we were still in incubation for NB 11.0?!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Apache Netbeans 11 - Building from Source

Posted by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Antonio,

After going through your points, I agree on keeping that page as it is.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi Tushar,

El 25/5/19 a las 9:55, Tushar Joshi escribió:
> Hi Team,
> [...]
>
>     Unzip incubating-netbeans-11.0-source.zip
>     <https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-11.0/incubating-netbeans-11.0-source.zip>
> in
>     a directory of your liking.
>     2.
>
>     cd to that directory, and then run ant to build the Apache NetBeans IDE.
>     Once built you can run the IDE by typing ./nbbuild/netbeans/bin/netbeans
>
> I believe that we have to remove this incubator word from this page.  Where
> should be the new link point for Apache NetBeans 11 sources?

AFAIK there's no "netbeans-11.0-source.zip" without the "incubator" part
anywhere in the Apache Mirrors.

Anyway Apache 11.0 was released when NetBeans was still in the Apache
Incubator, so I don't see why the "incubator" prefix has to be removed.

I think that the Apache Incubator Project is one of the greatests
achievements of the ASF. A place where people can learn and grow to
become full fledged Apache TLP projects. I'm grateful to the Apache
Incubator Project for having helped us during the last years.

In my mind having "incubator" in NetBeans 11.0 is a Great Thing,
something to be proud of, and not having it in 12.0 is also a great
thing, a signal we're big enough to break things ourselves!

Kind regards,
Antonio