Posted to community@apache.org by Shane Curcuru <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/26 19:48:59 UTC

Wikis for Geeks: anyone have a wiki that supports CVS/SVN for users?

Here's a brilliant idea!  I'd love to find a wiki that also supports
updates via some sort of geek-oriented interface, like CVS or SVN.  That
way, we could please both the millions of folks who like using the web -
and can usually figure out how to update wikis pretty easily - as well
as many of the really geeky folks in our community who can't stand
wikis, but use CVS to store their home directories.

Any pointers?  Apologies in advance if I missed a really obvious wiki
that easily supports a pluggable content provider, including CVS - I'm
horrible at googling sometimes.

- Shane

do you read planetapache.org?

Re: Wikis for Geeks: anyone have a wiki that supports CVS/SVN for users?

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
El mar, 26-04-2005 a las 13:48 -0400, Shane Curcuru escribió:
> Here's a brilliant idea!  I'd love to find a wiki that also supports
> updates via some sort of geek-oriented interface, like CVS or SVN.  That
> way, we could please both the millions of folks who like using the web -
> and can usually figure out how to update wikis pretty easily - as well
> as many of the really geeky folks in our community who can't stand
> wikis, but use CVS to store their home directories.
>
> Any pointers?  Apologies in advance if I missed a really obvious wiki
> that easily supports a pluggable content provider, including CVS - I'm
> horrible at googling sometimes.

I have been using jspwiki for a time. I don't like it *that* much, but
the PageProvider comes in a version using straight file system rcs (with
horrible performance, as it spawns rcs processes for each page, and
another provider simulating rcs in java code. Both do automatic storage
of versions, and, given the presence of versioning straight into the
API, changing the PageProvider from rcs to svn would not be a big
project.

On a different note, I selected blojsom for a pet project's
micro-content management tool as its EntryProvider is again fairly well
abstracted, and I plan to hook a SVN backend to it. It looks again a
simple enterprise, as all the blo*som tools use a hierarchical, file
system like abstraction for pages. One of the key requirements I had was
being able to generate pages statically and serve them from a file
system, which ruled out most DB backed tools and saved me quite a bit of
complexity in the tools. Blojsom has also a plugin for wiki edition,
based on the radeox wiki engine.

I don't think servlet/java fits well in your panoply, and I think
subwiki will serve you well community- and code- wise, but send me a
note if you want further info about those tools and my hacks on them.
The server where I had blojsom running died after a spike last Monday,
and I'm in the middle of moving home/office. I'll put it back up again
after the move. The old jspwiki is live at http://memojo.com/ and my
daughters and myself have been using it for almost three years, with my
small patches to have it generating xhtml instead of HTML 4

Regards
Santiago

> - Shane
>
> do you read planetapache.org?

Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
High Sierra Technology, SLU

Re: Wikis for Geeks: anyone have a wiki that supports CVS/SVN for users?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 26 Apr 2005, at 20:13, Greg Stein wrote:

> Nah. I have yet to see a wiki do any checks on input. They're just
> very lenient on output.

Not responding to the subject of this mail, but to your remark: Daisy
(cocoondev.org/daisy) does a fair amount of cleanup & html validation
upon input. It offers HTML editing rather than Wiki syntax editing
though.

Generally stating though, the Wiki which ships with Daisy is much more
a CMS app than a Wiki, even though it doubles quite nicely as a
Wiki-on-steroids.

Cheers,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Wikis for Geeks: anyone have a wiki that supports CVS/SVN for users?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:26:26AM -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> There is SVNwiki, but it only uses SVN as the database backend; it's not
> designed to have the content also be edited directly, though someone could
> carefully do that.
>
> The issue is that Wikis do things to data on the way in, from syntax
> checking to (perhaps) glossary-izing, as well as to the data on the way
> out.  Viewing the raw data in a simple text editor results in something
> that may be hard to read; editing the data may result in an inconsistant
> Wiki database.  Just like calling SQL directly on data stored in a DB
> avoids the normalizing that application logic applies to it.

Nah. I have yet to see a wiki do any checks on input. They're just
very lenient on output.

And there isn't any problem with poor integrity with writing straight
to SVN. SubWiki depends upon a commit hook to index pages. No matter
how you make a change (whether thru the interface, via SVN, or via
WebDAV) the hook will run and the page will be indexed.

Dunno how SVNWiki does it, but I know SubWiki is safe for multiple
avenues of changing it. By design :-)

Regarding its status: it is still being developed, albeit a bit
slowly. It recognizes all the MoinMoin wiki syntax except for tables.
It does not have all of the macros. It has some very basic
authentication and authorization stuff -- I'm mid-process on adding
cookie-based auth to the system.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Wikis for Geeks: anyone have a wiki that supports CVS/SVN for users?

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
There is SVNwiki, but it only uses SVN as the database backend; it's not
designed to have the content also be edited directly, though someone could
carefully do that.

The issue is that Wikis do things to data on the way in, from syntax
checking to (perhaps) glossary-izing, as well as to the data on the way
out.  Viewing the raw data in a simple text editor results in something
that may be hard to read; editing the data may result in an inconsistant
Wiki database.  Just like calling SQL directly on data stored in a DB
avoids the normalizing that application logic applies to it.

 	Brian

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:12 PM +0200 Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>
wrote:

> There is Greg's SubWiki but I'm not sure how far/alive it is, seems to be
> working though:
>
> http://www.webdav.org/wiki/projects/SubWiki
> http://subwiki.tigris.org/

I've setup Subwiki in the past to do exactly this: some folks edit via SVN
and some folks edit via the wiki pages.  It's very slick for this purpose.

If you need help setting it up, please grab me on IRC as I think I know why
you want this.  =)   -- justin

Re: Wikis for Geeks: anyone have a wiki that supports CVS/SVN for users?

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
Erik Abele wrote:
> On 26.04.2005, at 19:48, Shane Curcuru wrote:
>
>> Here's a brilliant idea!  I'd love to find a wiki that also supports
>> updates via some sort of geek-oriented interface, like CVS or SVN.
>> That way, we could please both the millions of folks who like using
>> the web - and can usually figure out how to update wikis pretty easily
>> - as well as many of the really geeky folks in our community who can't
>> stand wikis, but use CVS to store their home directories.
>>
>> Any pointers?  Apologies in advance if I missed a really obvious wiki
>> that easily supports a pluggable content provider, including CVS - I'm
>> horrible at googling sometimes.
>

> There is Greg's SubWiki but I'm not sure how far/alive it is, seems to
> be working though:
>
> http://www.webdav.org/wiki/projects/SubWiki
> http://subwiki.tigris.org/

Yup.  Subwiki is functional, though some people would argue that it doesn't
support as much as MoinMoin does for example.  Leo Simons has been willing
to jump in and correct that, as have others.  Just a matter of tuits...

Sander

RE: Wikis for Geeks: anyone have a wiki that supports CVS/SVN for users?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> There is Greg's SubWiki but I'm not sure how far/alive it is

Nothing that a development community couldn't fix ... ;-)

	--- Noel

Re: Wikis for Geeks: anyone have a wiki that supports CVS/SVN for users?

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 26.04.2005, at 19:48, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> Here's a brilliant idea!  I'd love to find a wiki that also supports
> updates via some sort of geek-oriented interface, like CVS or SVN.
> That way, we could please both the millions of folks who like using
> the web - and can usually figure out how to update wikis pretty easily
> - as well as many of the really geeky folks in our community who can't
> stand wikis, but use CVS to store their home directories.
>
> Any pointers?  Apologies in advance if I missed a really obvious wiki
> that easily supports a pluggable content provider, including CVS - I'm
> horrible at googling sometimes.

There is Greg's SubWiki but I'm not sure how far/alive it is, seems to
be working though:

http://www.webdav.org/wiki/projects/SubWiki
http://subwiki.tigris.org/

Cheers,
Erik

RE: Wikis for Geeks: anyone have a wiki that supports CVS/SVN for users?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Shane Curcuru wrote:

> I'd love to find a wiki that also supports updates via some
> sort of geek-oriented interface, like CVS or SVN.

SubWiki should be able to do it.  Talk with Greg.

	--- Noel