Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Todtenhaupt, Susann" <Su...@astrium.eads.net> on 2003/08/05 13:07:03 UTC

TXT Problems

Hi @ all!

I'm trying to generate TXT from XML through xsl and fop. In my result
txt-file there are several problems I don't understand...
(1) whitespaces between words in one line are stretched
(2) I create several rows and there are always two of them near together and
then there's a line between the next two rows

Can anybody give support?

(see attached files)

million thanx
suse

RE: TXT Problems

Posted by Markus Schütz <ma...@datadax.de>.
Hello Susann,

why do you use FOP at all?
In my opinion it is much easier (and more convenient as well) to use the
text output feature of your XSLT processor. This is so convenient that I've
never tried text output via FOP at all.
The advantage is that you will be able to control the whitespace in the
output document, which seems to be your main problem. Plus you don't have to
worry about FO syntax when it comes to writing your output stylesheets.
Please note that you can do all the "formatting" such as indents, blank
lines and capitalisation by means of standard XSLT tools such as <xsl:text/>
and translate().

I admit that this task gets a bit harder when it comes to tables, since you
have to care for the column alignment yourself. But you can solve this
problem easily at last for cells by counting the number of characters in one
cell and adding the missing number of space characters. You can improve your
results by specifing the column width as a parameter and trying different
values for this.
This should work alt least for tables without line breaks within the cells,
which is obviously the case in the examples you added.

Maybe this is a helpful idea for you.

Best regards,
Markus