Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dionisio Ruiz de Zarate <di...@tinieblas.com> on 2004/02/07 14:17:28 UTC

tomcat 5. some basic questions

hello.
i have one machine in production mode with apache 2 and tomcat 4.1.29.
i am thinkin for using tomcat 5.
i have several questions:

1.- the tomcat 5 configuration i diferent, comparing with the tomcat 4.1.29
configurarion? (vitual domains, db connecion pools using Commons DBCP..)
2.- when i try to download the tomcat i see that there is:
Tomcat 5.0.18 zip PGP MD5
5.0.18 Deployer zip PGP MD5
5.0.18 Embed zip PGP MD5

what are the two last ?(5.0.18 Deployer zip PGP MD5, 5.0.18 Embed zip PGP
MD5 ) i need it for using tomcat in production mode?

for connection apache2 with tomcat 4.1.29 i download the connectors sourcrs,
i compile them..... for using tomcat 5 this step is diferent?

thanks for reading my question and thanks for your help

Sorry for my bad english

Re: tomcat 5. some basic questions

Posted by Antonio Fiol Bonnín <fi...@terra.es>.
Hi,

That depends mostly on your application. When we developed our app, some
developers used 4.1.27 and other 5.0.16 (IIRC), and the app is
compatible with both. I do not recall needing to make a special effort
to keep compatibility. So you still may have hope ;-)

Main difference, in our case, was the place where we configured our
connection pool: server.xml in one case, and context.xml in the other.
Other than that, nothing impressive.

Yours,

Antonio Fiol