Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Merto Mertek <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/17 21:11:52 UTC

Hadoop-on-demand and torque

If I understand it right HOD is mentioned mainly for merging existing HPC
clusters with hadoop and for testing purposes..

I cannot find what is the role of Torque here (just initial nodes
allocation?) and which is the default scheduler of HOD ?  Probably the
scheduler from the hadoop distribution?

In the doc is mentioned a MAUI scheduler, but probably if there would be an
integration with hadoop there will be any document on it..

thanks..

Re: Hadoop-on-demand and torque

Posted by Ralph Castain <rh...@open-mpi.org>.
OMPI is a performance-focused community, so we always compare things :-)

Some initial data against YARN, but not Mesos. Someone has been looking at porting OMPI to Mesos, but it turns out that Mesos isn't a particularly friendly MPI platform (a couple of us have been trying to provide advice on how to overcome the obstacles). I'm not sure what his plans are for completing that work - we haven't heard from him for a few weeks.

In terms of YARN, the OMPI-based "HOD" solution launches an MPI program about 1000x faster, and runs about 10x faster. The launch time differences grows with scale as the YARN MPI solution wires up with a quadratic time signature, while the OMPI solution wires up logarithmically. The execution time difference depends upon the application (IO bound vs compute bound), but largely stems from a difference in available data transports.

As a practical example, running a simple MPI "ring" program takes about 90 seconds on an 8 node system using YARN, and about 35 milliseconds using OMPI under SLURM. An MR word count program that looked at 1000 files took about 6 minutes using YARN, and about 11 seconds using OMPI's MR+.

Non-MPI programs also tend to launch faster due to the difference in how YARN handles launch vs other RMs. Again, a non-MPI "hello" running on an 8 node system can still take 20 seconds to run, depending on the heartbeat setting, and about 25 milliseconds using SLURM. You don't get the wireup impact, of course, so the time difference remains fairly consistent with scale.

This is inline with what others have reported, so I think the results (although preliminary) are consistent with the findings reported elsewhere.

We'll have to wait to see about Mesos.

Posted by Charles Earl <ch...@gmail.com>.
Ralph,

Posted by Ralph Castain <rh...@open-mpi.org>.