Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Greg Stasica <gs...@poczta.onet.pl> on 2007/05/30 00:55:22 UTC

how to check if page has been displayed (rendered) by the browser

hi,

My problem is that I've a big JSP page with a lot of scriptlets and a
JavaScript which basically reloads the whole page every 5s. The problem is
that my JavaScript makes a request to the server before the user has a
chance to see the whole page.
Is it possible to read somehow that the page was sent to the browser and
that the browser has completed rendering its content?

Re: how to check if page has been displayed (rendered) by the browser

Posted by Pierre Goupil <go...@gmail.com>.
Hello !

2007/5/31, Raghupathy, Gurumoorthy <Gu...@nielsen.com>:

> Put your javascript at the last ... so you are sure that my the time your
> javascript is being executed your html is rendered

Unfortunately, this doesn't work this way : you have no guarantee that your
page has finished *rendering* when your script is starting  executing.

Torsten Römer wrote:
> > Couldn't you use the JavaScript "Load" event to know when the page has
> > been completely rendered, and postpone your reload until then?

Yeah, you're right. And you must use the fact that the scripts contained in
the <head> tag are only launched on demand. Here's a snippet :

<head>
<script type="text/javascript">

function init() { ...}

</script>
</head>

<script type="text/javascript">
            addEvent(window, "load",initAll);

<!-- When the page is fully loaded, we can do what we wish to -->
            function initAll() {
                       init();
            }
</script>

Cheers,

Pierre

--
"Mon horizon était désormais les pétales courbés,
Ma nouvelle demeure resplendissait de flèches d'herbes folles

(Naïmah, le philosophe Fémereif)

Re: how to check if page has been displayed (rendered) by the browser

Posted by Jeremiah Johnson <jo...@egr.msu.edu>.
you could use JQuery to run a script after the document is loaded. See
at this url:
http://www.learningjquery.com/2006/09/introducing-document-ready

Posted by "Raghupathy, Gurumoorthy" <Gu...@nielsen.com>.

Posted by Srepfler Srgjan <sr...@lnksystem.com>.