Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2013/03/01 00:24:24 UTC

Re: Proposal: communications/workflow for new languages

On 25/02/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
> And maybe that starts getting too geeky when we post PO files in
> tar.bz2 format, a format unheard of to Windows users who comprise 90%+
> of our users?

This is surely a steep learning curve. And I believe we do lose
volunteers at this step.

> Look around.  How many
> volunteers have come through asking to help about Hebrew, Greek and
> Portuguese?   Isn't a non-optimal that they haven't managed to
> coordinate on the translation?  Isn't it non-optimal that we have no
> idea whether this is even being worked on?  That is the problem we're
> facing.

And Pootle is the solution. A working Pootle installation, with a
well-thought access policy, allows effortless collaboration and monitoring.

> we need to help with
> the coordination side as well.  And this might mean smart use of
> technology rather than just complaining that technology is hard.

In March we can try the BugZilla way. We can probably even start the
registration process at https://issues.apache.org/ooo/createaccount.cgi
leaving to volunteers the only task of confirming their e-mail address.
This should be simple enough for everybody, if we explain it properly.

But in the medium-long term I really believe that Pootle will make the
difference.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Proposal: communications/workflow for new languages

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the nice reply. I will start translating the rest. In the mean
while If you could set any automatic reminder every weak asking for the
status of translation , it will make this a little more faster.

With Warm Regards

V.Kadal Amutham
919444360480
914422396480

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
Dear Andrea,

The Panel Deck Bar - I did not translate since I could not. I did not know
what is that Panel Deck Bar.
Do you want me to remove the file from Ubuntu One? . If so I will remove it.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
Andrea Wrote:
Well, what I did is:
- I opened the Ubuntu One space you shared
- I opened the first folder there: accessibility / source / helper.po
- It has one translated string (Browse =  தேடு ) and one untranslated
string (Panel Deck Tab Bar)

Should I have looked somewhere else?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
Dear Andrea,

I was using POedit (Available in ubuntu 11.10). POedit was displaying
the untranslated line  at the top and I just translated them. After
translation the lines get inserted (I think) as per the alphabetical order.
So I am finding it difficult to locate the exact lines which I have
translated.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
Dear Andrea,

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
I am editing / adding to the ta folder and the folder has been shared with
the email ID pescetti@apache.org. Le me know if there is any problem is
downloading the same

With Warm Regards

V.Kadal Amutham
919444360480
914422396480

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 3 March 2013 19:01, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to download  the text to be translated and send me as a
> spreadsheet? A lot of time is wasted while my browser updates between each
> line of translation

If you do work offline, I would advice strongly against anything other than
a speciliazed .po file editing tool like poedit.

Editing the texts in a spreadsheet carries a high possibility of loosing
the connection betwen key, english text, flags and translation.

rgds
Jan I.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.