Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Joel Welling <we...@psc.edu> on 2008/11/26 00:27:16 UTC

Problems running TestDFSIO to a non-default directory

Hi Konstantin (et al.);
  A while ago you gave me the following trick to run TestDFSIO to an
output directory other than the default- just use
-Dtest.build.data=/output/dir to pass the new directory to the
executable.  I recall this working, but it is failing now under 0.18.1,
and looking at it I can't see how it ever worked.  The -D option will
set the property on the Java virtual machine which runs as a direct
child of /bin/hadoop, but I see no way the property would get set on the
mapper virtual machines.  Should this still work?

Thanks,
-Joel

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 13:05 -0700, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
> Sure.
>
> bin/hadoop
-Dtest.build.data=/bessemer/welling/hadoop_test/benchmarks/TestDFSIO/
org.apache.hadoop.fs.TestDFSIO -write -nrFiles 2*N -fileSize 360

> --Konst
>
> Joel Welling wrote:
> > With my setup, I need to change the file directory
> > from /benchmarks/TestDFSIO/io_control to something
> > like /bessemer/welling/hadoop_test/benchmarks/TestDFSIO/io_control .
Is