Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/08 21:25:35 UTC

[draft board report] NiFi Board Report - January 2019

Team,

It is again that time to submit our board report.  Here is what I plan to
send but please take a look at share any important omissions or issues.
Great work all!

 - Apache NiFi is an easy to use, powerful, and reliable system to process
and
   distribute data.
 - Apache NiFi MiNiFi is an edge data collection agent built to seamlessly
   integrate with and leverage the command and control of NiFi. There are
both
   Java and C++ implementations.
 - Apache NiFi Registry is a centralized registry for key configuration
items
   including flow versions, assets, and extensions for Apache NiFi and
Apache
   MiNiFi.
 - Apache NiFi Nar Maven Plugin is a release artifact used for supporting
the
   NiFi classloader isolation model.
 - Apache NiFi Flow Design System is a theme-able set of high quality UI
   components and utilities for use across the various Apache NiFi web
   applications in order to provide a more consistent user experience.

## Issues:
 - There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:
 - Released Apache NiFi 1.8.0 containing numerous new features, bug fixes,
   and improvements. This included powerful features like load-balanced
cluster
   aware connections and node decommissioning.
 - Discussions and work are underway to release the Apache NiFi Registry and
   necessary improvements to NiFi to support storing extensions in the
registry
   and accessing them at run-time as needed via NiFi. This will reduce the
   size of our distribution greatly reducing burden on Apache infrastructure
   and improving the overall user experience.
 - Discussions and code review underway for a powerful and amazingly simple
   concept of NiFi flows executed as functions.  The model honors the NiFi
API
   but offers wide variation in execution environments and will be useful
for
   optimizing performance of certain common use cases.

## Health report:
 - Health of the community remains strong. Mailing list and JIRA activity
has
   remains very active and we find the Apache NiFi slack channel increasing
   valuable as a tool to engage with the community and as a source of
redirect
   to the mailing lists.
 - We have voted in two new committers in this period and there appears to
be
   additional pipeline strength brewing as well for committer and PMC merit.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 29 PMC members.
 - No new PMC members in the last three months.
 - Last PMC additional was Jeremy Dyer on Mon Jul 30 2018.

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 42 committers.
 - New committers:
  - Ed Berezitsky was added as a committer on Wed Jan 02 2019.
  - Nathan Gough was added as a committer on Wed Jan 02 2019.

## Releases:

 - Apache NiFi 1.8.0 was released on Sat Oct 27 2018

## Mailing list activity:

 - Activity on the mailing lists remains high with a mixture of new users,
   contributors, and deeper more experienced users and contributors sparking
   discussion and questions and filing bugs or new features.

 - users@nifi.apache.org:

 - dev@nifi.apache.org:

 - issues@nifi.apache.org:
    - 52 subscribers (down 2 in the last 3 months):

## JIRA activity:

Re: [draft board report] NiFi Board Report - January 2019

Posted by Pierre Villard <pi...@gmail.com>.
LGTM!