Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Pierre De Rop <pi...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/02 07:50:49 UTC

questions about org.apache.felix.gogo.command-1.0.2

Hi all,

I'm trying to use DM with latest gogo and jline, and I have two questions:

1) first, dm shell was importing so far the
org.apache.felix.service.command package with the version range "[0.10,1)"
because it was using the
gogo annotations (@Parameter, @Descriptor, etc ...) that was exported by a
previous org.apache.felix.service.command package version.

But now, I see that org.apache.felix.gogo.command-1.0.2 is now exporting
the org.apache.felix.service.command package with version 1.0.0.

So, I wonder if there are really some incompatible semantic differences for
the org.apache.felix.service.command package between gogo command 0.10 and
gogo command 1.0.2 bundle versions ?

2) now, I see that in previous versions (gogo command < 1.0.0), the
org.apache.felix.service.command package was exported with a provisional
attribute, like this (in gogo command 0.16.2):

org.apache.felix.service.command;status=provisional

but now, the package is not exported anymore with the provisional
attribute. So, I'd like to check if it is expected or if it's a bug that
the org.apache.felix.service.command is now exported without the
provisional attribute ?

my goal is to release a new dm gogo shell version in order to be compatible
with both old gogo.command < 1.0.0 and new gogo.command >= 1.0.2
(i'm only using the gogo annotations from
the org.apache.felix.service.command package).

thanks & regards
Pierre

Re: questions about org.apache.felix.gogo.command-1.0.2

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use DM with latest gogo and jline, and I have two questions:
>
> 1) first, dm shell was importing so far the
> org.apache.felix.service.command package with the version range "[0.10,1)"
> because it was using the
> gogo annotations (@Parameter, @Descriptor, etc ...) that was exported by a
> previous org.apache.felix.service.command package version.
>
> But now, I see that org.apache.felix.gogo.command-1.0.2 is now exporting
> the org.apache.felix.service.command package with version 1.0.0.
>
> So, I wonder if there are really some incompatible semantic differences for
> the org.apache.felix.service.command package between gogo command 0.10 and
> gogo command 1.0.2 bundle versions ?

Yes, they are minor, but there are a few incompatible differences.
The main incompatibility is that CommandProcessor#createSession signature
has been
changed to use OutputStream instead of PrintStream, so a simple
recompilation
should be enough.

> 2) now, I see that in previous versions (gogo command < 1.0.0), the
> org.apache.felix.service.command package was exported with a provisional
> attribute, like this (in gogo command 0.16.2):
>
> org.apache.felix.service.command;status=provisional
>

> but now, the package is not exported anymore with the provisional
> attribute. So, I'd like to check if it is expected or if it's a bug that
> the org.apache.felix.service.command is now exported without the
> provisional attribute ?

No, that's on purpose.
Originally, the idea was that gogo would become somehow a spec in
the OSGi Alliance, but this has never happened, so there's no point in
keeping this provisional mandatory attribute forever.

> my goal is to release a new dm gogo shell version in order to be compatible
> with both old gogo.command < 1.0.0 and new gogo.command >= 1.0.2
> (i'm only using the gogo annotations from
> the org.apache.felix.service.command package).

Yes, the commands should not be affected.

--
Guillaume Nodet