Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Erik van Zijst <er...@marketxs.com> on 2001/03/06 10:56:53 UTC

Polymorphism in SOAP?

Hi,

Straight to the point: as I'm building a complete SOAP interface for our
existing Java API, I stumble upon polymorphism.

Sometimes we have the same method name with a different set of arguments, but
in the <isd:provider .. methods=""> tag a DeploymentDescriptor I can only
give the method names, not complete signatures.

What about this? Will I find myself writing different method names for these
methods in the adaptor classes between my existing app and the SOAP layer?

Erik van Zijst
--
Heller's Law:
	The first myth of management is that it exists.

Johnson's Corollary:
	Nobody really knows what is going on anywhere within the
	organization.

RE: Polymorphism in SOAP?

Posted by Oisín Hurley <oh...@iona.com>.
> The deployment stuff lets you only name the methods, but at runtime
> the polymorphic methods should be resolved correctly because actual
> dispatch is based on the signature too (of course).

Hmm, I'm a bit confused here, don't you mean overloading here rather
than polymorphism?

> WSDL is also weak in this area; if I remember right there was a
> sentence that said operation names have to be unique. Oops. If it
> did say that its gotta be fixed.

This makes me think you mean overloading - WSDL provides an interface
description without inheritance, so no polymorphism.

 cheers
   --oh

RE: Polymorphism in SOAP?

Posted by Oisín Hurley <oh...@iona.com>.

Re: Polymorphism in SOAP?

Posted by Erik van Zijst <er...@marketxs.com>.
OK Thanks.

Sanjiva, you've once more answered a couple of key questions that blocked our
SOAP development. Thanks for that. You (and the rest of the list of course)
have been a tremedous help so far!

Erik

On Tuesday 06 March 2001 16:35, you wrote:
> The deployment stuff lets you only name the methods, but at runtime
> the polymorphic methods should be resolved correctly because actual
> dispatch is based on the signature too (of course).
>
> WSDL is also weak in this area; if I remember right there was a
> sentence that said operation names have to be unique. Oops. If it
> did say that its gotta be fixed.
>
> Anyway, polymorphic methods should work fine with Apache SOAP
> right now. What you cannot do is decide that one of the overloaded
> will be published while the other is not.
>
> Sanjiva.

		-- Rich Kulawiec

Re: Polymorphism in SOAP?

Posted by Erik van Zijst <er...@marketxs.com>.