Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Sergio Boso <se...@bosoconsulting.it> on 2012/11/09 11:50:26 UTC

Recording HTTPS from iPad

HI everybody,

I'm working to test a server application that is used from an iPad client.
It is an enterprise app, so everything is encrypted.

I set up Jmeter as a proxy as usual, and I can manage to record the traffic from the iPad browser.
When I launch the app, nothing work.

My guess is that the app is not able to manage the exception due to the dummy Jmeter certificate, so the communication does not even
start.

While we are contacting the app company, I was wondering if there is any effective, standard solution to this problem.
Any way to present a standard certificate from Jmeter?
Or, any way to set-up a truly transparent proxy, by setting the jmeter machine as a default gateway for the device?
This would require at least to propagate the DNS protocol beside http?

Any suggestion is welcome

thank you and best regards
Sergio

--

Ing. Sergio Boso

Re: Recording HTTPS from iPad

Posted by Stephen Ash <st...@gmail.com>.
I have used Charles Proxy (http://www.charlesproxy.com/) for the past two
years in my iOS testing. It has a certificate that can be installed on an
iOS device that allows SSL traffic to be read by the Charles app running on
another computer for debugging purposes. You might look into using that
certificate with JMeter or try using the Charles forwarding options to
redirect traffic it has already read onto JMeter.

http://www.charlesproxy.com/documentation/faqs/ssl-connections-from-within-iphone-applications/

Stephen

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sergio,

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Sergio Boso <se...@bosoconsulting.it>wrote:

> HI everybody,
>
> I'm working to test a server application that is used from an iPad client.
> It is an enterprise app, so everything is encrypted.
>
> I set up Jmeter as a proxy as usual, and I can manage to record the
> traffic from the iPad browser.
> When I launch the app, nothing work.
>
> My guess is that the app is not able to manage the exception due to the
> dummy Jmeter certificate, so the communication does not even start.
>
> While we are contacting the app company, I was wondering if there is any
> effective, standard solution to this problem.
> Any way to present a standard certificate from Jmeter?
> Or, any way to set-up a truly transparent proxy, by setting the jmeter
> machine as a default gateway for the device?
> This would require at least to propagate the DNS protocol beside http?
>
> Any suggestion is welcome
>
> thank you and best regards
> Sergio
>
> --