Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> on 2011/05/30 21:04:22 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Cassandra 0.8.0 (take #3)

OK, let's try this yet again; I propose the following artifacts for release
as 0.8.0 (final).

SVN: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cassandra/branches/cassandra-0.8.0@r1129278
Artifacts: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecassandra-018/
Driver Artifacts and Debian Package: http://people.apache.org/~eevans

The vote will remain open for 72 hours (longer if needed).

[1]: http://goo.gl/QY5dm (CHANGES.txt)
[2]: http://goo.gl/CrJqJ (NEWS.txt)

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Cassandra 0.8.0 (take #3)

Posted by Jeremy Hanna <je...@gmail.com>.
On May 31, 2011, at 5:16 PM, Edward Capriolo wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Jeremy Hanna <je...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> +1 non-binding
>>
>> fwiw
>> - I ran some basic pig scripts that I have with 0.8 and they worked fine
>> including using a UDF, filtering data, and outputting to Cassandra.
>> - I also tried the pig and word_count examples in the src download. For
>> some reason the cassandra output reducer didn't output anything to Cassandra
>>
>> I don't think that problem is a showstopper because one, it's an example
>> and two, it seems isolated to the example - I got pig to output to
>> Cassandra, so it doesn't appear to be a bug in the CFOF or other things in
>> core.  I did log a ticket on it as I am swamped at the moment and didn't see
>> anything obvious.  It did output to the filesystem just fine though.  See
>>
>> On May 30, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Eric Evans wrote:
>>
>>> OK, let's try this yet again; I propose the following artifacts for
>> release
>>> as 0.8.0 (final).
>>>
>>> SVN:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cassandra/branches/cassandra-0.8.0@r1129278
>>> Artifacts:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecassandra-018/
>>> Driver Artifacts and Debian Package: http://people.apache.org/~eevans
>>>
>>> The vote will remain open for 72 hours (longer if needed).
>>>
>>> [1]: http://goo.gl/QY5dm (CHANGES.txt)
>>> [2]: http://goo.gl/CrJqJ (NEWS.txt)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Eric Evans
>>> eevans@rackspace.com
>>>

> @Jeremy is this just because Pig's output does not use the OutputFormat?
>
> If the OutputFormat does not work, then the cat is out of the bag, and I
> would say it should get fixed. I would be a non binding -1
>
> It could be significant because the OutputFormat was avro and now it has
> been moved to thrift.
>
> switch to native Thrift for Hadoop map/reduce (CASSANDRA-2667)
>
> So this would be a defect created by a feature of this release.

No - pig uses the built-in ColumnFamilyOutputFormat so that's why I think the bug is just with examples/hadoop_word_count.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Cassandra 0.8.0 (take #3)

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Jeremy is this just because Pig's output does not use the OutputFormat?

It does use it, but we specifically fixed pig and probably forgot to
fix the word count.

> It could be significant because the OutputFormat was avro and now it has
> been moved to thrift.
>
>  switch to native Thrift for Hadoop map/reduce (CASSANDRA-2667)

I would guess this is what needs to be fixed in the word count.

-Brandon

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Cassandra 0.8.0 (take #3)

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Hanna <je...@gmail.com>.
+1 non-binding

fwiw
- I ran some basic pig scripts that I have with 0.8 and they worked fine including using a UDF, filtering data, and outputting to Cassandra.
- I also tried the pig and word_count examples in the src download. For some reason the cassandra output reducer didn't output anything to Cassandra

I don't think that problem is a showstopper because one, it's an example and two, it seems isolated to the example - I got pig to output to Cassandra, so it doesn't appear to be a bug in the CFOF or other things in core.  I did log a ticket on it as I am swamped at the moment and didn't see anything obvious.  It did output to the filesystem just fine though.  See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-2727

Posted by Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com>.
+1.  Let's ship this thing already.

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

[VOTE RESULTS] was: [VOTE] Release Apache Cassandra 0.8.0 (take #3)

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 14:04 -0500, Eric Evans wrote:
> OK, let's try this yet again; I propose the following artifacts for release
> as 0.8.0 (final).
>
> SVN: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cassandra/branches/cassandra-0.8.0@r1129278
> Artifacts: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecassandra-018/
> Driver Artifacts and Debian Package: http://people.apache.org/~eevans
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours (longer if needed).

Wow.

I count 7 binding +1s and 1 other, and no -1s.  The vote passes!

I'll get everything published and whatnot presently.

Posted by Jake Luciani <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
http://twitter.com/tjake

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Cassandra 0.8.0 (take #3)

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
+1

Posted by Chris Goffinet <cg...@chrisgoffinet.com>.
+1