Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Mayank Bansal <Ma...@mu-sigma.com> on 2012/06/21 12:14:37 UTC

I am trying to create an external table in hive, by referring to a directory in hadoop containing multiple files of the same type inside the directory.
But hive gives an error, that the path specified is not a filename.
Is there a way to load all the files present inside a directory into one hive table?

Thanks,
Mayank

________________________________
This email message may contain proprietary, private and confidential information. The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or entities to which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be illegal. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the message from your system.

Mu Sigma takes all reasonable steps to ensure that its electronic communications are free from viruses. However, given Internet accessibility, the Company cannot accept liability for any virus introduced by this e-mail or any attachment and you are advised to use up-to-date virus checking software.

RE: Loading files from a directory

Posted by Chalcy Raja <Ch...@careerbuilder.com>.
Hi Mayank,

Hive load can go only one directory deep.  You cannot load directory of directory of files.

Thanks,
CHalcy

Posted by Jasper Knulst <ja...@incentro.com>.
Hi Mayank,