Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2007/04/20 01:25:14 UTC

Re: Dealing w/ poor network citizens like Yahoo! - Solution?

For what it's worth, what would be nice is if yahoo had some kind of
automated complaint mailbox so that if complaints about a particular
account were coming in at a high rate it would disable the account. Same
for Hotmail, Gmail, and other free mailers.

If automated complaint features were standard we could fix a lot of spam.

Re: Dealing w/ poor network citizens like Yahoo! - Solution?

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Fri, April 20, 2007 01:25, Marc Perkel wrote:
> For what it's worth, what would be nice is if yahoo had some kind of
> automated complaint mailbox so that if complaints about a particular
> account were coming in at a high rate it would disable the account. Same
> for Hotmail, Gmail, and other free mailers.
>
> If automated complaint features were standard we could fix a lot of spam.

just make a sender_bcc *@yahoo.com abuse@yahoo.com :-)

if you want to complain send complete header and body no attachments to this
email

abuse@ is working atleast for there yahoogroups maillists, don't know if there
is problems with dialup spammers :(

--
This message was sent using 100% recycled spam mails.

Re: Dealing w/ poor network citizens like Yahoo! - Solution?

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Kelson wrote:
> Aggh.  I think Thunderbird 2 changed the menu layout a bit.  I hit
> "Reply to Sender" instead of "Reply to All."
>
> Marc Perkel wrote:
>> For what it's worth, what would be nice is if yahoo had some kind of
>> automated complaint mailbox so that if complaints about a particular
>> account were coming in at a high rate it would disable the account.
>> Same for Hotmail, Gmail, and other free mailers.
>>
>> If automated complaint features were standard we could fix a lot of
>> spam.
>
> Sure... until spammer-pwned botnets start sending hundreds of complaints
> about the addresses of spamfighters, getting their ISPs to disable their
> accounts automatically.
>
> Sorry, that one's just too easy to abuse.

But perhaps with domain keys or some other encoding trick they could
verify that the forwarded emails were authentic. I think it would be doable.

Re: Dealing w/ poor network citizens like Yahoo! - Solution?

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.

Marc Perkel wrote:
> For what it's worth, what would be nice is if yahoo had some kind of
> automated complaint mailbox so that if complaints about a particular
> account were coming in at a high rate it would disable the account. Same
> for Hotmail, Gmail, and other free mailers.
>
> If automated complaint features were standard we could fix a lot of spam.

Sure... until spammer-pwned botnets start sending hundreds of complaints
about the addresses of spamfighters, getting their ISPs to disable their
accounts automatically.

Sorry, that one's just too easy to abuse.

--
Kelson Vibber