Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Manish Verma <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/01 02:30:29 UTC

incrCounter doesn't return a value

Hi,

I wanted to use the incrCounter API to generate auto increment ids but the
problem is that it doesn't return the incremented value. Does anyone know
why this API does not return the incremented value? And whether it would be
possible to change it to return the incremented value?

Thanks
Manish V

Re: incrCounter doesn't return a value

Posted by Manish Verma <ma...@gmail.com>.
Jens/Ashish,
Thanks for your replies. I missed the point that these counters are
maintained by their respective tasks and periodically sent to the
tasktracker and then to the jobtracker for global aggregation.

Thanks
Manish

Posted by Manish Verma <ma...@gmail.com>.
Jens/Ashish,

Posted by Manish Verma <ma...@gmail.com>.
Jens/Ashish,

Posted by Manish Verma <ma...@gmail.com>.
Jens/Ashish,

Posted by Ashish Umrani <as...@gmail.com>.
Manish,

Posted by Ashish Umrani <as...@gmail.com>.
Manish,

Posted by Ashish Umrani <as...@gmail.com>.
Manish,

Posted by Ashish Umrani <as...@gmail.com>.
Manish,

Posted by Jens Scheidtmann <je...@gmail.com>.
Dear Manish,

Posted by Manish Verma <ma...@gmail.com>.
Rishi,

I want to call this API from the mappers.

Thanks
Manish

Posted by Manish Verma <ma...@gmail.com>.
Ashish,

I agree that incrCounter API works as designed. I looked at other ways to
generate auto increment ids and found that ZooKeeper has been used by some
to do this. Unique numbers would not satisfy my requirement as I am moving
an app from traditional data warehouse to Hadoop. The incrCounter API would
have worked for me if it had supported returning the incremented value.

Thanks
Manish

Posted by Manish Verma <ma...@gmail.com>.
Ashish,