Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Ryan Blue <bl...@apache.org> on 2021/07/25 19:48:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] Moving to apache-iceberg Slack workspace

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago, we talked about whether to use a Slack workspace for
Iceberg or whether to continue using the ASF's workspace. At the time, we
thought it was possible for anyone to invite themselves to the ASF's Slack,
so we thought it would be best to use the common one. But after the
self-invite link broke recently, we found out that ASF infra doesn't want
to fix the link anymore because of spammers, which leaves us without a way
for people to join us on Slack without requesting an invite.

I think that requesting an invite is too much friction for someone that
wants to join this community, so I propose we reconsider our previous
decision and move to apache-iceberg.slack.com.

Any objections?

Ryan

--
Ryan Blue

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to apache-iceberg Slack workspace

Posted by Puneet Zaroo <pz...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
+1 from me too on moving to the apache-iceberg Slack space.
Thanks

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io>.
Okay, I’ve deployed the updated community page
<https://iceberg.apache.org/community/>. Please let me know if anyone has
problems with the link! The PR with these changes is #2904
<https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/2904>.

I also went through the list of members and updated all of the PMC members
that had joined the community to admins. Not everyone was there, but I can
add more people as they sign up. Just let me know!

Ryan

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to apache-iceberg Slack workspace

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io>.

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to apache-iceberg Slack workspace

Posted by Piotr Findeisen <pi...@starburstdata.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Piotr Findeisen <pi...@starburstdata.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eduard Tudenhoefner <ed...@dremio.com>.

Posted by Piotr Findeisen <pi...@starburstdata.com>.
Ryan,

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io>.

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to apache-iceberg Slack workspace

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io>.

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to apache-iceberg Slack workspace

Posted by Russell Spitzer <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eduard Tudenhoefner <ed...@dremio.com>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io>.

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to apache-iceberg Slack workspace

Posted by Eduard Tudenhoefner <ed...@dremio.com>.

Posted by Jack Ye <ye...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Piotr Findeisen <pi...@starburstdata.com>.
Hi,