Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2014/08/02 12:46:49 UTC

Re: vysper usage for custom web application

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Bernd Fondermann
<be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Today, there is also the Websocket protocol. I'd highly recommend
> using Websocket instead of BOSH/HTTP as a transport for XMPP. The
> caveats are that not all browsers support Websocket and Vysper is not
> providing an implementation of Websocket.

There is an implementation for websockets in Vysper:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=mina-vysper.git;a=tree;f=server/extensions/websockets;hb=HEAD

That said, it most likely needs updating to reflect the latest
websocket spec (update the Jetty dependency should be a good start),
and possibly to the XMPP over websocket spec.

/niklas

Re: vysper usage for custom web application

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@gmail.com>.
Last year I took a look into updating the Websocket stuff but it
wasn't too easy. I found Tomcat and Jetty not really easily
approachable in terms of Websocket.
For another project I just took Netty's Websocket module and it took
just a few lines. Perspectively, having a native MINA Websocket
implementation would definitively be the best approach and at least
the prefered solution for Vysper.

  Bernd