Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> on 2005/07/19 04:49:16 UTC

Google SiteSearch for Struts (was Re: svn commit: r219597)

> Log:
> - Added Google SiteSearch to User Guide and FAQs
>     (inspired by Tomcat: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/)
>     See: http://www.google.com/searchcode.html

If you've ever restricted a Google search by adding (for example)
'site:apache.org' to your query, you've used SiteSearch.  I added search
boxes to the bottom of the index pages under 'faqs' and 'userGuide', each
restricted to that section of the site.

As it stands now, the results pages will have advertisements on them.  Is
anyone involved with fundraising?  What about the ASF getting revenue from
clicks on those ads [0]?  Not that I particularly want people wandering off
when they're supposed to be reading the documentation. ;)  Alternately,
since the ASF is non-profit, we could use Google Public Service Search and
have no ads [1].  There's also an option to customize the results page [2].

If any of those options sounds interesting, someone "official" would need to
sign up and agree to the terms.

[0] https://www.google.com/adsense/ws-overview
[1] http://services.google.com/publicservice/login
[2] http://www.google.com/services/free.html

--
Wendy Smoak

Re: Google SiteSearch for Struts (was Re: svn commit: r219597)

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
+1 - let's do it.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 2/24/06, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I notice that several Apache projects, including the incubator, are
> both offering Google site searches now.
> Any reason why we should not do the same?

None at all.  It was there for a while, (in the custom stylesheet we
were using,) but it got lost in the conversion to the Maven generated
site.

--
Wendy

Re: Google SiteSearch for Struts (was Re: svn commit: r219597)

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
I notice that several Apache projects, including the incubator, are
both offering Google site searches now.

* http://ant.apache.org/
* http://beehive.apache.org/
* http://cocoon.apache.org/
* http://forrest.apache.org/
* http://incubator.apache.org/
* http://jakarta.apache.org/
* http://lenya.apache.org/
* http://lucene.apache.org/
* http://tomcat.apache.org/
* http://webservices.apache.org/
* http://xml.apache.org/
* http://xmlbeans.apache.org/
* http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/

Any reason why we should not do the same?

-Ted.

On 7/18/05, Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> wrote:
> > Log:
> > - Added Google SiteSearch to User Guide and FAQs
> >     (inspired by Tomcat: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/)
> >     See: http://www.google.com/searchcode.html
>
> If you've ever restricted a Google search by adding (for example)
> 'site:apache.org' to your query, you've used SiteSearch.  I added search
> boxes to the bottom of the index pages under 'faqs' and 'userGuide', each
> restricted to that section of the site.
>
> As it stands now, the results pages will have advertisements on them.  Is
> anyone involved with fundraising?  What about the ASF getting revenue from
> clicks on those ads [0]?  Not that I particularly want people wandering off
> when they're supposed to be reading the documentation. ;)  Alternately,
> since the ASF is non-profit, we could use Google Public Service Search and
> have no ads [1].  There's also an option to customize the results page [2].
>
> If any of those options sounds interesting, someone "official" would need to
> sign up and agree to the terms.
>
> [0] https://www.google.com/adsense/ws-overview
> [1] http://services.google.com/publicservice/login
> [2] http://www.google.com/services/free.html
>
> --
> Wendy Smoak

HTH, Ted.
** http://www.husted.com/ted/blog/

Re: Google SiteSearch for Struts (was Re: svn commit: r219597)

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Ted Husted" <te...@gmail.com>

> Adsense has been discussed recently, and the response was negative.
> Many ASF members are strongly opposed to any inline advertising on our
> sites.
>
> But, what you are suggesting might be OK, since the result page is not
> on our site per-se.
>
> You can try to followup with a post to fundraising@,

I think I'll just leave it alone. :) If they don't want AdSense, I can't see
them wanting to pursue this.  And if anyone objects to the ads on the
results pages, we can figure out how to set up the ad-free Public Service
Search.

Thanks!

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
Adsense has been discussed recently, and the response was negative.
Many ASF members are strongly opposed to any inline advertising on our
sites.

But, what you are suggesting might be OK, since the result page is not
on our site per-se.

You can try to followup with a post to fundraising@, but be sure to
use your Apache account, since it's a restricted list. The last I
knew, they were only letting ASF members subscribe, but, hopefuly, the
moderator would let an earnest post through.

In related news, we did have a grant from Google's AdWords program
(the other end of the stick). Originally, it was going to go through
mid-July. I'm not sure of the status. The point of AdWords would be to
increase our page rank on searches, but I don't think we much care
about that.