Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/22 23:25:31 UTC

Packaging our releases

Our current Wicket release distribution consists of several zip files,
one for each project. Each zip contains all the dependencies for that
particular project, including the wicket dependencies. This means that
when you download wicket-1.2.4.zip, wicket-spring-1.2.4.zip and
wicket-spring-annot-1.2.4.zip, you will download wicket-1.2.4.jar 3
times, wicket-spring-1.2.4 2 times and wicket-spring-annot-1.2.4.jar 1
time.

Also, each release contains the generated website. Now the only two
websites that are actually worth something are:
 - the main wicket distribution, as it contains the examples.
 - the wicket-quickstart distribution, as it contains the guides for the 3 ide's

Recently, Eelco asked the question, what will improve our release
process? Part of the improvement could come from streamlining the
contents of our zips.

Some options I see (I'm not +1, just stating them):
 - split zips into source and binary distributions, going with the
default maven assemblies
 - remove site docs from distributions, only include a readme, the
docs can be found online (http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKETxSITE)
 - create one wicket-all zip with all wicket jars
 - add source-jar/javadoc-jar to the zips (currently left out)

Questions:
 - do we need to support ant builds for the source distribution?
 - do we need to supply all dependencies in the source and/or binary
distribution
 - do we like our current distributions, so no change is necessary?

WDYT?

Martijn

--
Vote for Wicket at the http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/vote_for/wicket
Wicket 1.2.4 is as easy as 1-2-4. Download Wicket now!

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 1/22/07, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Questions:
> - do we need to support ant builds for the source distribution?

-1

- do we need to supply all dependencies in the source and/or binary
> distribution

Let's go maven2 and don't include dependencies in source distributions. I'm
-0 on including them in binary.

Frank

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 1/23/07, Filippo Diotalevi <fi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/22/07, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Our current Wicket release distribution consists of several zip files,
> > one for each project. Each zip contains all the dependencies for that
> > particular project, including the wicket dependencies. This means that
> > when you download wicket-1.2.4.zip, wicket-spring-1.2.4.zip and
> > wicket-spring-annot-1.2.4.zip, you will download wicket-1.2.4.jar 3
> > times, wicket-spring-1.2.4 2 times and wicket-spring-annot-1.2.4.jar 1
> > time.
> >  - create one wicket-all zip with all wicket jars
>
> I prefer the wicket-all approach, and I don't agree with the
> observation that nearly all our users use Maven; in my experience,
> it's just the opposite: really a few users use maven, and it'd be much
> easier for them to have a single zip file.

I would say that I'm as much a user as anyone else (still using 1.2.2 @
work, shame on me :). But we only use wicket core and some selfcompiled
stuff projects. I don't see much idea in the all package because I wouldn't
use all of them or even half.

Now that I think of it I think it makes sense to have a maven based stripped
down source dist, but let the binary dist be without maven and including the
dependencies. What do you need the pom for in a binary dist?

Frank

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Filippo Diotalevi <fi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Ingo Adler:

> I'm not using Maven. I use Ant and Ivy.

Me too.   And I'd love to  see Wicket using the  successful combo,
but this is not (yet) the case of others[1].

> I like the wicket-all idea. One version - one distribution - one
> download.
>
> First step: I create (or copy)  an IntelliJ project with modules
> over the  extracted distribution. So I can  navigate through the
> source, the samples and the rest. The  web site and the docs are
> not  important. But I  don't  mind. If the  projects are  nicely
> structured I can even compile  and start the sample applications
> without any hassle.
>
> I  use  this  project  to  lookup  how  samples  work,  for  api
> documentation and to look how the internals are implemented.
>
> Second step: I copy all the jar files I need to my repository to
> update my projects.
>
> The wicket-all  distribution is  a nice  addition to  people who
> want  to  get  an  overview over  the  current  release  quickly
> without  getting into  the details  of the  project's structures
> (subprojects and source/jar and  distribution jars) in the maven
> repositories.

+1.  We  need to  have both  the artifacts  deployed to  a central
repository (for the Maven or  Ivy users that already know Wicket),
and the all-in-one  package for the beginner  to become acquainted
with Wicket.

Cheers,
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana   Qwerty

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Ant-%2B-Ivy-tf2667504.html#a7438702

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Ingo Adler <de...@synacon.ch>.
Hi,

[...]

Ingo.

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
On 1/22/07, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - split zips into source and binary distributions, going with the
> default maven assemblies

+1

- remove site docs from distributions, only include a readme, the
> docs can be found online (http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKETxSITE)

+1

- create one wicket-all zip with all wicket jars

-1

this day and age people will mostly use maven, so why even have zips? can we
not simply post the jars produced by maven on our site and into apache's
snapshot repo

have anstructions on our page for adding the necessary deps into pom.xml

- add source-jar/javadoc-jar to the zips (currently left out)

-1 mvn eclipse:eclipse -DdownloadSources=true or get them yourself from the
maven repo or our site

Questions:
> - do we need to support ant builds for the source distribution?

no, we use maven2. maybe have an example ant on our wiki and let users fix
it when its broken.

- do we need to supply all dependencies in the source and/or binary
> distribution

no, all dependencies are easily available through the maven repo or our site
for wicket deps

- do we like our current distributions, so no change is necessary?

no, lets streamline it and let maven do more work for us

-igor

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> Some options I see (I'm not +1, just stating them):
>  - split zips into source and binary distributions, going with the
> default maven assemblies

+1

>  - remove site docs from distributions, only include a readme, the
> docs can be found online (http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKETxSITE)

+1

>  - create one wicket-all zip with all wicket jars

-0. Is it easier to do one zip? Or is this an extra?

>  - add source-jar/javadoc-jar to the zips (currently left out)

+1 (especially the source, I wish all projects would do that). That
should be a standard maven option now, right?

> Questions:
>  - do we need to support ant builds for the source distribution?

-1. I think we should remove them, just as we should remove/ removed
maven 1 files.

>  - do we need to supply all dependencies in the source and/or binary
> distribution

-1.

>  - do we like our current distributions, so no change is necessary?

Whatever increases our chances of releasing more often.

Eelco

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Alexandre Bairos <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi. Answers right after the questions.

On 1/22/07, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Our current Wicket release distribution consists of several zip files,
> one for each project. Each zip contains all the dependencies for that
> particular project, including the wicket dependencies. This means that
> when you download wicket-1.2.4.zip, wicket-spring-1.2.4.zip and
> wicket-spring-annot-1.2.4.zip, you will download wicket-1.2.4.jar 3
> times, wicket-spring-1.2.4 2 times and wicket-spring-annot-1.2.4.jar 1
> time.
>
> Also, each release contains the generated website. Now the only two
> websites that are actually worth something are:
> - the main wicket distribution, as it contains the examples.
> - the wicket-quickstart distribution, as it contains the guides for the 3
> ide's
>
> Recently, Eelco asked the question, what will improve our release
> process? Part of the improvement could come from streamlining the
> contents of our zips.
>
> Some options I see (I'm not +1, just stating them):
> - split zips into source and binary distributions, going with the
> default maven assemblies

+ 1 default maven assemblies.

- remove site docs from distributions, only include a readme, the
> docs can be found online (http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKETxSITE)

+1

- create one wicket-all zip with all wicket jars

+1 if it doesn't hurt to much to make it work.

- add source-jar/javadoc-jar to the zips (currently left out)

-1 javadoc only.

Questions:
> - do we need

to support ant builds for the source distribution?
> - do we need to supply all dependencies in the source and/or binary
> distribution

-1

- do we like our current distributions, so no change is necessary?

could be improved as stated.

WDYT?

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> Our current Wicket release distribution consists of several zip files,
[...]

Wheee, this is almost getting religious. :)

Maven 2 users just, errr, use Maven 2. :)

So for the others, I'd have thought it simplest to have a single zip/tgz
download containing the wicket sub-project JARs plus all their deps. You
can easily automate this using the mvn assembly plug-in.

Maven 2 will generate a nice dependencies report, which we should
probably stick up somewhere, so if someone is not using Maven 2 and
wants the smallest set of dependency libraries, they don't need to go
hunting around to work out what they need.

-1 on all wicket sub-projects wrapped into single JAR. Spring started
out this way and has now fragmented into sub-project JARs, and they wish
they'd done it like that from the start. Most people will only use
wicket and wicket-extensions.

(I'd also suggest renaming wicket to wicket-core, as it makes it more
obvious there are other modules available, but whatever.)

Al

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Justin Lee <jl...@antwerkz.com>.

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
That is why I 'polled' the masses: to find out if anyone is attached
to our current packaging. Fortunately the @dev subscribers aren't
attached to the current packaging, so we can move to the default
assemblies.

Martijn

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Currently it does. And yes,when I download a project I typically
expect it to work out of the box, no strings attached. I really hate
having to hunt down dependencies which are poorly documented. I also
hate it when projects include dependencies without the version info in
the filename (some include a readme with the version numbers, but that
usually is out of date).

Since we are using and promoting (?) the usage of maven, and even
though it has its flaws, it does induce some very good practices.

If/when we are going to use the standard/default maven supplied
templates, then we will have the following distributions readily
available: http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/descriptor-refs.html

Most interesting IMO:
 - src
 - bin
 - project

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Erik van Oosten <e....@chello.nl>.
Hi Igor,

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
On 1/23/07, Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah you can, and the fact that we upload with src jars is a good
> thing. However, I don't expect every user to know where to find those
> src files,

neither do i, thats why we link to them from our website!

-igor

and it sure is a lot easier to just unpack them in link

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
Yeah you can, and the fact that we upload with src jars is a good
thing. However, I don't expect every user to know where to find those
src files, and it sure is a lot easier to just unpack them in link

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Erik van Oosten <e....@chello.nl>.
Hi Igor,

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Erik van Oosten <e....@chello.nl>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> Other peops than core devs please voice your opinion. The
> distributions are made for you.
> - split zips into source and binary distributions, going with the
> default maven assemblies
+1

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
that was meant for martijn not you

-igor

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Justin Lee <jl...@antwerkz.com>.

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
maybe you shouldve posted this to @user?

-gior

Re: Packaging our releases

Posted by Ryan Sonnek <ry...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Igor's response....

Use maven conventions as much as possible.  Leave the distributions "bare
bones" and get all extra artifacts (source, javadoc) in the maven
repository.

Re: Packaging our releases