Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/11 10:37:30 UTC

Re: Proposal to create Docker images for Qpid components.

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Irina Boverman <ib...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Thank you all who thoughtfully responded to this proposal. This is a
> summary as I understood it and my comments regarding these points.
>
> (1) Qpid community is in favour of creating and maintaining docker images
> for cpp/java brokers
> and dispatch router. OS choice is less important, as long as the user can
> connect to the broker/router port. We only need to support one OS choice.
>
> I think this is a good start. It covers a use case when someone wants to
> test or deploy client apps against broker/router conveniently running as a
> docker service.
>
> I think there might be another use case for those users who want to develop
> client apps in a known environment with client libraries already installed
> for them to work with. I think the OS choice is important to these users
> because they may have a preference/better knowledge of this particular OS.
> Please consider this use case.

I'm personally interested in doing something for clients.  It makes it very
easy for folks to evaluate them.  This would definitely be a lower priority
than the servers, however.

> (2) Docker images should be of minimal size.
>
> As a concept, I fully agree with it. However, community support for
> official images also makes sense to me. These images go through review and
> testing, as well as, get patches for CVEs. There is a whole infrastructure
> in place in Fedora to build docker images, etc following best practices
> from OCI.
>
> Official images range in size between 120 to 200 mb, and have 10+ mil of
> downloads, so the size does not appear to be an obstacle to adopting them.
> It is my opinion that future official images will evolve to be better
> aligned with how they are used, for example "server" and "workstation",
> etc.
>
> REPOSITORY                          TAG                 IMAGE ID
> CREATED             SIZE
> docker.io/ubuntu                    latest              ebcd9d4fca80
> 6 weeks ago         117.9 MB
> docker.io/debian                    latest              e5599115b6a6
> 5 months ago        123 MB
> docker.io/centos                    latest              67591570dd29
> 6 months ago        191.8 MB
> docker.io/fedora                    latest              a1e614f0f30e
> 6 months ago        197.1 MB
>
> We can also modify the base image to remove some items if we think they are
> not needed.
>
> My personal preference is to start with fedora image because this
> distribution has latest upstream releases for qpid packages, and I am the
> maintainer for a number of these packages.
> Fedora community is also working on its own docker registry (it will have
> stable and test registries), has koji support for building images and
> guidelines for naming and versioning them.

Fedora and others have purpose-built minimal base images for this.  I think
we should target those.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ContainerMinimalImage