Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jeff Ramsdale <je...@asix.com> on 2003/10/28 00:27:58 UTC

Wafer update

Hi all,

Ran across this page and searched the archive for references. Found one from
a year or so ago from Sylvain, so I thought it might be time to point it out
again. The Wafer Project compares the feature sets of major Java-based web
application frameworks. Companies love this sort of chart because it can
save a lot of tedious research in making technology decisions. We all know,
though, that it's nearly impossible to know how accurate and/or up-to-date
data like this is on the Internet.

So, I'm wondering if someone who knows the innards of Cocoon better than I
do could help the gentlepeople who created this chart update it with
Cocoon's current feature-set.

http://www.waferproject.org/feature-matrix2.html

If anyone has tips on out-of-date information for other frameworks in the
chart I'd be interested as well.

Jeff

Re: Wafer update

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Tony Collen wrote:
> Jeff Ramsdale wrote:
<snip/>

> > So, I'm wondering if someone who knows the innards of Cocoon better than I
> > do could help the gentlepeople who created this chart update it with
> > Cocoon's current feature-set.
> >
> > http://www.waferproject.org/feature-matrix2.html
>
> Wow, there's a lot that should be checked, i.e.:
<snip/>

It would be a lot easier on us if we just kept our own
Wiki page up-to-date, then just point such people to it:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CocoonFeatures

--David

Re: Wafer update

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Tony Collen dijo:
>
>>Not sure about EJB or O/R stuff, since I don't mess with it much. It's a
>> little hazy by which methods these featuresets are evaluated.
>

> Hey?! Where you left the OJB support, it is O/R support?!!!
>  :-DDDD
>
> That means: JDO, ODMG support.

Heheheh, more acronyms I'm not familliar with :)

Tony

Re: Wafer update

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Tony Collen dijo:
> Not sure about EJB or O/R stuff, since I don't mess with it much. It's a
>  little hazy by which methods these featuresets are evaluated.

Hey?! Where you left the OJB support, it is O/R support?!!!
 :-DDDD

That means: JDO, ODMG support.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: Wafer update

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Jeff Ramsdale wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ran across this page and searched the archive for references. Found one from
> a year or so ago from Sylvain, so I thought it might be time to point it out
> again. The Wafer Project compares the feature sets of major Java-based web
> application frameworks. Companies love this sort of chart because it can
> save a lot of tedious research in making technology decisions. We all know,
> though, that it's nearly impossible to know how accurate and/or up-to-date
> data like this is on the Internet.
>
> So, I'm wondering if someone who knows the innards of Cocoon better than I
> do could help the gentlepeople who created this chart update it with
> Cocoon's current feature-set.
>
> http://www.waferproject.org/feature-matrix2.html

Wow, there's a lot that should be checked, i.e.:

I18N (Effortless)
Security (Auth-FW)
Documentation: D,E,F,G,J,T
Error Handling (i.e. <map:handle-errors/>)
IDE Integration (SunBow)
Web Services (WSProxy, HttpProxy)
Direct Database Access (ESQL, etc)
Workflow (The Flowscript)
XML-RPC (This really falls under web services)
Job Scheduling - Scheduler in cron block.