Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Luca Fiscato <lu...@eng.it> on 2007/06/04 13:40:33 UTC

Database Persistence Backup

Hi all,

I configured jackrabbit to store all the contents (data, version, index
...) into a database (oracle, mysql, and postgres) and it works fine.
The problem occur when I try to migrate the data from a database to
another one (also if the database vendor is the same).
When I try to connect to the new database jackrabbit throws an exception
like 'Duplicate key entry ....' and it doesn't work.
For example: I have all my jackrabbit data into a mysql server 1 and  I
migrate all the data to the mysql server 2, then, when I try to connect
to the new database I have an exception.
I know that a backup tool exists but it's easier to migrate the database.
Anyone knows the problem ?
It's an architectural choice or a bug ?

P.S.  using file system for persistence and changing the location of the
repository folder jackrabbit continues to work, I think it should act in
the same way also if  I change the database repository.

Thanks
Luca

Re: Database Persistence Backup

Posted by Thomas Mueller <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work. However

- The repository must be closed before coping (source and target)

- The reference to the database must be changed in all config files
(repository.xml and workspaces/*/workspace.xml files)

- The files must be copied as well (directories 'repository',
'version', and 'workspaces') unless you use the same files of course

- Merging repositories or 'partial copy' is not possible in that way

- You can't easily migrate currently from one database product to
another (for example MySQL to PostgreSQL).

I hope this helps,
Thomas

Posted by toddmcgrath <mc...@supergloo.com>.
Hi,