Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org> on 2013/12/18 20:52:39 UTC

HBASE-7088 ready to commit ;)

It's small and there for a while.

Thanks.

Re: HBASE-7088 ready to commit ;)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
RC at EOM sounds good Andy,
St.Ack

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
+1

Committers should use their good judgement. It should be possible to simply commit low risk bugfixes without additional +1's after a reasonable time.
Committers should be smart enough to garner more review/support when needed for larger changes.

We'll never come up with hard rules that are always appropriate.

-- Lars

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <
jean-marc@spaggiari.org> wrote:

> On your side Andrew, regarding 0.98, can you please commit on not taking
> any vacations for the next 12 months please? ;)

LOL. I absolutely can commit to that. I don't do vacations. I do
"work-cactions". It's a pathology of modern life that I have embraced. I
will only be absent if ill. I hope that is excusable...

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: HBASE-7088 ready to commit ;)

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
My point is that it forces more eyes to look at what is done and might
allow (force) more discussions?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: HBASE-7088 ready to commit ;)

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: HBASE-7088 ready to commit ;)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps it's worth while refreshing the owners concept? I think it's a
> reasonable way to manage the problem, but requires participants willing to
> make the commitment. I find it funny that there's so few owners, 0-1 owner
> per component in general. With as many active committers as we have, I
> would think we could manage a solid showing of 2+ owners each. With as many
> of us as there are who are making a living on the project, I think this
> should be possible.

Let me freshen up the owners list.

In my previous mail I was giving the impression that I though
'lieutenants/owners' is not working but when I started to list out default
owners in response to Andrew and then after sending the mail, continued the
listing in my head (matteo for snapshotting, stack on rpc, larsh on scan,
etc.), while our coverage may not be complete, we ain't doing too bad here.

> Then again, maybe my perception of active committers is skewed? For
> instance, I am guilty of some level of delinquency regarding my
> responsibilities to the mapreduce component as of late.

Fellas get busy and do real work. It can't be helped (smile).

St.Ack

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> If you have suggestion, I'm all ears.
>
> Other means have been tried -- education and shaming to name two -- but
> these work sporadically if at all and even afterward, we still have
> unwanted 'testing infrastructure' committed caught only after a second
> reviewer showed up after the commit, changes to critical sections without
> proofing on 'real' cluster under 'real' loads (where the settings that work
> for unit tests, as it can be imagined, can fail miserably), and then
> incompatible changes being committed by 'veterans' even up unto recently (I
> have been guilty of all the above listed myself).

Consider reverting the substandard work more aggressively. Needing extra
friction (in the form of multiple +1s) for commit concerns me because the
bandwidth and interest of people around here I observe to be quite
variable. Same reason while I like that we have some active owners, I don't
feel we have enough coverage overall for it to work - I worry I and other
contributors will chase after people for +1s while trying to get work done.

Let's punish the few, not the whole. We should have the equivalent friction
for reverts. Reverts should work the same way as commits: propose it, get a
+1. Maintain a count of reverts by individual committer. If one or more
committers become an outlier here, the PMC can and should take action to
preserve the overall quality of the project. That can be a temporary or
permanent suspension of karma, take it up on private@ as needed.

If we do more reverting, I would suggest allowing a committer who breaks
the build the opportunity to observe the breakage and fix it. This is
normal, that's why we have the Jenkins jobs and other infrastructure set
up. It would be best to avoid it, but despite every effort sometimes it
doesn't work out, the local tests pass yet Jenkins is unhappy. Say 24 hours
because of time zone differences before it's time for someone else to step
in.

Otherwise, unwanted 'testing infrastructure' should be reverted upon sight,
and so on, with cumulative consequences.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: HBASE-7088 ready to commit ;)

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> > You are not in favor of what is doc'd as community decision?
>
> No, and as a member of the community let me indicate that and suggest
> reconsideration.

Lets start up a formal discussion then Andrew with a DISCUSSION subject
rather than do it down here on the tail of an unrelated thread.

> > The policy has a mechanism for skirting absent owners; i.e. two +1s by
> random
> committers == an owner's +1.
>
> The ownership idea looks good on paper, but has it worked out? People on
> the project come and go, and volunteer the time they can, which is variable
> - this is normal and expected.

The lieutenant idea is 'working' IMO: witness Jimmy input on all to do w/
AM, you or Gary on security/CPs, and so on.  It would be better if it was
more comprehensive with more components having more active guardians.

> Perhaps we can address the issue of crap commits more directly? Is that
> possible?

If you have suggestion, I'm all ears.

Other means have been tried -- education and shaming to name two -- but
these work sporadically if at all and even afterward, we still have
unwanted 'testing infrastructure' committed caught only after a second
reviewer showed up after the commit, changes to critical sections without
proofing on 'real' cluster under 'real' loads (where the settings that work
for unit tests, as it can be imagined, can fail miserably), and then
incompatible changes being committed by 'veterans' even up unto recently (I
have been guilty of all the above listed myself).

I'm kinda of stumped on figuring another means of upping the quality of
what goes in other than upping the friction.  Fixing incompatibilities
after a release is paid not by the committer but some other poor
unfortunate, downstream soul and the price is usually way in excess of
letting the patch steam a while until a second or third reviewer has had a
looksee (I was recently such an unfortunate myself).

We could spend more time on our testing infra.  That would help w/ perf
regressions and unexpected side effect bugs.  We could build a public rig
for incompatibility checking (Our Aleks has made a start).  We've made a
bunch of progress in the testing area over the 0.96 period w/ the hbase-it
set but we could do more surfacing a public cluster w/ folks 'concerned' on
error or fall-off in perf, or incompatibilites, taking up the fixing of the
regression as a priority.  If we had this in place, it would substitute for
our introducing more friction (though we should have the friction anyways
because better test infra won't catch the new 'testing infrastructure' or
plain bad design).

St.Ack

Re: HBASE-7088 ready to commit ;)

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.