Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Er...@Classwell.com on 2002/02/27 22:55:35 UTC

validation on document building or serialization?

If I build a document from scratch using a DocumentBuilder and then
serialize it out, it seems to not do any validation. I'm able to create a
completely invalid document, even with validation turned on. I'm using XML
schema ather than a DTD, if that matters, and creating the association with
the document by adding the appropriate attributes to the root node (my last
message with subject "XmlSerializer putting xmlns="" on children of root
element" has more details on my setup).

Is there anyway to make validation occur short of reparsing the entire
document (like say, feeding an output stream from the serializer back into
the DocumentBuilder)?  I can understand that validation could not occur on
building...until completely built it would not be valid. But it seems silly
to have to serialize an existing DOM tree to text and then rebuild a new
DOM tree to validate it.

Thanks,

Eric Schwarzenbach