Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Michael Radford <mu...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/01 18:35:20 UTC

Windows, watermarks, and late data

I'm evaluating Flink for a reporting application that will keep
various aggregates updated in a database. It will be consuming from
Kafka queues that are replicated from remote data centers, so in case
there is a long outage in replication, I need to decide what to do
about windowing and late data.

If I use Flink's built-in windows and watermarks, any late data will
be come in 1-element windows, which could overwhelm the database if a
large batch of late data comes in and they are each mapped to
individual database updates.

As far as I can tell, I have two options:

1. Ignore late data, by marking it as late in an
AssignerWithPunctuatedWatermarks function, and then discarding it in a
flatMap operator. In this scenario, I would rely on a batch process to
fill in the missing data later, in the lambda architecture style.

2. Implement my own watermark logic to allow full windows of late
data. It seems like I could, for example, emit a "tick" message that
is replicated to all partitions every n messages, and then a custom
Trigger could decide when to purge each window based on the ticks and
a timeout duration. The system would never emit a real Watermark.

My questions are:
- Am I mistaken about either of these, or are there any other options
I'm not seeing for avoiding 1-element windows?
- For option 2, are there any problems with not emitting actual
watermarks, as long as the windows are eventually purged by a trigger?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Windows, watermarks, and late data

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
We have a fix open for support of the RichFunctions. Later today, the
1.0-SNAPSHOT and 1.1-SNAPSHOT will probably support that.

Seems we need to get a 1.0.1 out very soon, because this is a quite
important fix.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi Mike,

Posted by Michael Radford <mu...@gmail.com>.
Ha, never mind, I realized I can just put the unique key into the
aggregate object maintained by the FoldFunction.

I'm still curious why RichWindowFunction (and RichFoldFunction) aren't
supported for Scala WindowedStream.apply.

Mike

Posted by Michael Radford <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kostas Kloudas <k....@data-artisans.com>.
Hello Mike,

The code that Aljiosha mentioned is here:

https://github.com/kl0u/flink-examples/blob/master/src/main/java/com/dataartisans/flinksolo/customTriggers/EventTimeTriggerWithEarlyAndLateFiring.java <https://github.com/kl0u/flink-examples/blob/master/src/main/java/com/dataartisans/flinksolo/customTriggers/EventTimeTriggerWithEarlyAndLateFiring.java>

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,