Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Jörg Godau <J....@schuetze-berlin.de> on 2010/07/15 11:49:11 UTC

User Parameters not always correctly allocated?

Hi,

we have a situation where we need the user parameters to always be applied in a group (which I thought was actually the default behaviour?).

Example:
We have two parameters that need to be managed as a pair: user.id and resource.file

The user.id defines which user logs into the system being tested.
The resource.file is a list of records that this user will be able to access.

So for Jmeter "User_1"  user.id=A has resource.file= 1.csv etc...

The resource files are distributed on the slaves and accessible to the jmeter processes on those hosts.
Each jmeter slave has a distinct set of data (so no two slaves have the same content in 1.csv), but all of the content in 1.csv is valid for user A and _only_ for user A (the same applies for other users and data files).

The test does the following:
1. login (using ${user.id} from the user parameters)
2. loop
  2.1 find a record (using ${_StringFromFile(${resource.path}/${resource.file})})
  2.2 open the record

At 2.2 we are getting a lot of errors effectively saying record not found.

When we analysed this by looking at the requests being made we found that in all of the errors User A would be trying to open a record which is NOT listed in 1.csv! (The same applied to other users and file)

This error even occurs sometimes when we are running a single thread (no slaves, 1 thread)!

Can anyone provide any clue as to why this is occurring?

Or how to ensure that all of the parameters for a given user are always past to a particular thread?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jörg Godau

SCHÜTZE Consulting Informationssysteme GmbH Argentinische Allee 22b
14163 Berlin
Tel.: 030/ 802 49 44
Fax: 030/ 8090 39 95
www.schuetze-berlin.de

Geschäftsführer: Klaus-Dieter Schütze
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 73618
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer gemäß § 27a Umsatzsteuergesetz: DE 813181239

Re: User Parameters not always correctly allocated?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 22 July 2010 12:21, Jörg Godau <J....@schuetze-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Please don't include test plans in e-mail in future. They are
>> difficult to extract, and are just wasted bandwidth for most readers.
>
> Sorry. How else can I share the test files?

As I wrote previously:

"I suggest creating a Bugzilla issue and attaching the JMX file. Redact
any sensitive information first."

Alternatively, upload the file somewhere public and provide a link.

> Is there a Jmeter forum somewhere? That might be a more modern (and easily searchable) way of doing this?

No, this is the only forum.
There are plenty of mail archives that can be searched; see the
JMeter/Jakarta web-sites.

>> Also, the test plan has no definition for the following variables:
>> path.root
>> resource.path
>
> Yes as I said I've stripped it down - just the parts where the User Parameters are being used were shown here.
> The path.root is definied as ${__P('contextroot',/kita)} and
> resource.path as ${__P('resource.path',/home/jmeter/data/)}

By the way, you should not quote the property names.

Use ${__P(contextroot,/kita)}
Not ${__P('contextroot',/kita)}

> We do not (currently) overwrite these from the command line, though we would like to in future.

Which you won't be able to do easily unless you remove the quotes.

>> > The open record step is where it fails saying with "No record with ID
>> ${aktenzeichen} found". Which means that there was no result for the
>> search.
>>
>> No, it means that the variable "aktenzeichen" was not found.
>> Which means the RE did not match
>
> Yes and the Regexp does not match because no record with the name from the CSV file is found by the user currently doing the search. Even though the CSV files are generated specifically for records that the paired user has access to via specific database queries.
>

>> There are more threads (10 by default) than there are User Parameter
>> columns, so some values will be used by multiple threads.
>
> Yes this is deliberate - we want to hit one section of the data harder than another, so with 6 User Parameter columns over 10 threads we hit 1..4 with 2 threads each and 5 and 6 only with one thread (according to the information from your previous post).

OK.

>> The way you pass in the data is rather complicated.
>>
>> I suggest you create a single CSV file with all the data, and use CSV
>> Dataset to read it.
>
> There are several reasons why we cannot do this. The main one is that under full load conditions we run 10 JMeter-slaves each with 10 Threads. The data for each Slave is different.

You could just create 10 different files and pass the filename on the
command-line.

> It is also very inefficient to have huge CSV files that contain UserID,SearchName where UserID would be the same for thousands and thousands of records.

In that case having a separate file for the search names is reasonable.

AW: User Parameters not always correctly allocated?

Posted by Jörg Godau <J....@schuetze-berlin.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Godau <J....@schuetze-berlin.de>.
Hello,

[...]

---------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<jmeterTestPlan version="1.2" properties="2.1">
  <hashTree>
    <TestPlan guiclass="TestPlanGui" testclass="TestPlan" testname="Familie Suchen und Öffnen" enabled="true">
      <boolProp name="TestPlan.functional_mode">false</boolProp>
      <stringProp name="TestPlan.comments"></stringProp>
      <stringProp name="TestPlan.user_define_classpath"></stringProp>
      <boolProp name="TestPlan.serialize_threadgroups">false</boolProp>
      <elementProp name="TestPlan.user_defined_variables" elementType="Arguments" guiclass="ArgumentsPanel" testclass="Arguments" testname="Benutzer definierte Variablen" enabled="true">
        <collectionProp name="Arguments.arguments">
          <elementProp name="threads" elementType="Argument">
            <stringProp name="Argument.name">threads</stringProp>
            <stringProp name="Argument.value">${__P(&apos;threads&apos;,10)}</stringProp>
            <stringProp name="Argument.metadata">=</stringProp>
          </elementProp>
          <elementProp name="rampup" elementType="Argument">
            <stringProp name="Argument.name">rampup</stringProp>
            <stringProp name="Argument.value">${__P(&apos;rampup&apos;,60)}</stringProp>
            <stringProp name="Argument.metadata">=</stringProp>
          </elementProp>
          <elementProp name="loops" elementType="Argument">
            <stringProp name="Argument.name">loops</stringProp>
            <stringProp name="Argument.value">${__P(&apos;loops&apos;,40)}</stringProp>
            <stringProp name="Argument.metadata">=</stringProp>
          </elementProp>
        </collectionProp>
      </elementProp>
    </TestPlan>
    <hashTree>
      <ThreadGroup guiclass="ThreadGroupGui" testclass="ThreadGroup" testname="Thread Group" enabled="true">
        <boolProp name="ThreadGroup.scheduler">false</boolProp>
        <stringProp name="ThreadGroup.duration"></stringProp>
        <stringProp name="ThreadGroup.num_threads">${threads}</stringProp>
        <stringProp name="ThreadGroup.delay"></stringProp>
        <longProp name="ThreadGroup.start_time">1267541850000</longProp>
        <stringProp name="ThreadGroup.on_sample_error">stopthread</stringProp>
        <stringProp name="ThreadGroup.ramp_time">${rampup}</stringProp>
        <elementProp name="ThreadGroup.main_controller" elementType="LoopController" guiclass="LoopControlPanel" testclass="LoopController" testname="Loop Controller" enabled="true">
          <boolProp name="LoopController.continue_forever">false</boolProp>
          <stringProp name="LoopController.loops">${loops}</stringProp>
        </elementProp>
        <longProp name="ThreadGroup.end_time">1267541850000</longProp>
      </ThreadGroup>
      <hashTree>
        <UserParameters guiclass="UserParametersGui" testclass="UserParameters" testname="User Parameters" enabled="true">
          <collectionProp name="UserParameters.names">
            <stringProp name="-959950630">bearbeiter.id</stringProp>
            <stringProp name="933938012">resource.file</stringProp>
          </collectionProp>
          <collectionProp name="UserParameters.thread_values">
            <collectionProp name="186041271">
              <stringProp name="1438503176">240402374</stringProp>
              <stringProp name="1900928146">familiennamen_01.csv</stringProp>
            </collectionProp>
            <collectionProp name="-439331819">
              <stringProp name="916731973">118790704</stringProp>
              <stringProp name="1901851667">familiennamen_02.csv</stringProp>
            </collectionProp>
            <collectionProp name="914245807">
              <stringProp name="49617">210</stringProp>
              <stringProp name="1902775188">familiennamen_03.csv</stringProp>
            </collectionProp>
            <collectionProp name="1261995183">
              <stringProp name="-1867748347">110809336</stringProp>
              <stringProp name="1903698709">familiennamen_04.csv</stringProp>
            </collectionProp>
            <collectionProp name="-1411389796">
              <stringProp name="912108855">118740189</stringProp>
              <stringProp name="1904622230">familiennamen_05.csv</stringProp>
            </collectionProp>
            <collectionProp name="2023564199">
              <stringProp name="49808">275</stringProp>
              <stringProp name="1907392793">familiennamen_08.csv</stringProp>
            </collectionProp>
          </collectionProp>
          <boolProp name="UserParameters.per_iteration">false</boolProp>
        </UserParameters>
        <hashTree/>
        <OnceOnlyController guiclass="OnceOnlyControllerGui" testclass="OnceOnlyController" testname="1x Select User" enabled="true"/>
        <hashTree>
          <HTTPSampler2 guiclass="HttpTestSampleGui2" testclass="HTTPSampler2" testname="Select User from Param" enabled="true">
            <elementProp name="HTTPsampler.Arguments" elementType="Arguments" guiclass="HTTPArgumentsPanel" testclass="Arguments" testname="User Defined Variables" enabled="true">
              <collectionProp name="Arguments.arguments">
                <elementProp name="action" elementType="HTTPArgument">
                  <boolProp name="HTTPArgument.always_encode">true</boolProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.value">select</stringProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.metadata">=</stringProp>
                  <boolProp name="HTTPArgument.use_equals">true</boolProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.name">action</stringProp>
                </elementProp>
                <elementProp name="bearbeiterId" elementType="HTTPArgument">
                  <boolProp name="HTTPArgument.always_encode">true</boolProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.value">${bearbeiter.id}</stringProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.metadata">=</stringProp>
                  <boolProp name="HTTPArgument.use_equals">true</boolProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.name">bearbeiterId</stringProp>
                </elementProp>
              </collectionProp>
            </elementProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.domain"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.port"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.connect_timeout"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.response_timeout"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.protocol"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.contentEncoding"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.path">${path.root}/bearbeiterListe.do</stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.method">POST</stringProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.follow_redirects">true</boolProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.auto_redirects">false</boolProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.use_keepalive">true</boolProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.DO_MULTIPART_POST">false</boolProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.monitor">false</boolProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.embedded_url_re"></stringProp>
          </HTTPSampler2>
          <hashTree/>
        </hashTree>
        <GenericController guiclass="LogicControllerGui" testclass="GenericController" testname="Suche" enabled="true"/>
        <hashTree>
          <HTTPSampler2 guiclass="HttpTestSampleGui2" testclass="HTTPSampler2" testname="Perform Search" enabled="true">
            <elementProp name="HTTPsampler.Arguments" elementType="Arguments" guiclass="HTTPArgumentsPanel" testclass="Arguments" testname="User Defined Variables" enabled="true">
              <collectionProp name="Arguments.arguments">
                <elementProp name="query" elementType="HTTPArgument">
                  <boolProp name="HTTPArgument.always_encode">true</boolProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.value">${_StringFromFile(${resource.path}/${resource.file})}</stringProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.metadata">=</stringProp>
                  <boolProp name="HTTPArgument.use_equals">true</boolProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.name">query</stringProp>
                </elementProp>
                <elementProp name="type" elementType="HTTPArgument">
                  <boolProp name="HTTPArgument.always_encode">true</boolProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.value">auto</stringProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.metadata">=</stringProp>
                  <boolProp name="HTTPArgument.use_equals">true</boolProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.name">type</stringProp>
                </elementProp>
                <elementProp name="filter" elementType="HTTPArgument">
                  <boolProp name="HTTPArgument.always_encode">true</boolProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.value">alle</stringProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.metadata">=</stringProp>
                  <boolProp name="HTTPArgument.use_equals">true</boolProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.name">filter</stringProp>
                </elementProp>
              </collectionProp>
            </elementProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.domain"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.port"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.connect_timeout"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.response_timeout"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.protocol"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.contentEncoding"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.path">${path.root}/familieSuche.do</stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.method">POST</stringProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.follow_redirects">false</boolProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.auto_redirects">false</boolProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.use_keepalive">true</boolProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.DO_MULTIPART_POST">false</boolProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.monitor">false</boolProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.embedded_url_re"></stringProp>
          </HTTPSampler2>
          <hashTree>
            <RegexExtractor guiclass="RegexExtractorGui" testclass="RegexExtractor" testname="grep AZ" enabled="true">
              <stringProp name="RegexExtractor.useHeaders">false</stringProp>
              <stringProp name="RegexExtractor.refname">aktenzeichen</stringProp>
              <stringProp name="RegexExtractor.regex">familie\.do\?id=(\d+)</stringProp>
              <stringProp name="RegexExtractor.template">$1$</stringProp>
              <stringProp name="RegexExtractor.default"></stringProp>
              <stringProp name="RegexExtractor.match_number">0</stringProp>
            </RegexExtractor>
            <hashTree/>
          </hashTree>
          <HTTPSampler2 guiclass="HttpTestSampleGui2" testclass="HTTPSampler2" testname="Open Record" enabled="true">
            <elementProp name="HTTPsampler.Arguments" elementType="Arguments" guiclass="HTTPArgumentsPanel" testclass="Arguments" testname="User Defined Variables" enabled="true">
              <collectionProp name="Arguments.arguments">
                <elementProp name="id" elementType="HTTPArgument">
                  <boolProp name="HTTPArgument.always_encode">true</boolProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.value">${aktenzeichen}</stringProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.metadata">=</stringProp>
                  <boolProp name="HTTPArgument.use_equals">true</boolProp>
                  <stringProp name="Argument.name">id</stringProp>
                </elementProp>
              </collectionProp>
            </elementProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.domain"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.port"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.connect_timeout"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.response_timeout"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.protocol"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.contentEncoding"></stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.path">${path.root}/familie.do</stringProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.method">GET</stringProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.follow_redirects">false</boolProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.auto_redirects">false</boolProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.use_keepalive">true</boolProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.DO_MULTIPART_POST">false</boolProp>
            <boolProp name="HTTPSampler.monitor">false</boolProp>
            <stringProp name="HTTPSampler.embedded_url_re"></stringProp>
          </HTTPSampler2>
          <hashTree/>
        </hashTree>
      </hashTree>
    </hashTree>
  </hashTree>
</jmeterTestPlan>

Re: User Parameters not always correctly allocated?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
The JMeter code is synchronised where it saves the variables.

Also, the set of variables is chosen using threadNum % varCount, so a
given thread will always get the same set.

I don't see how the variables can get out of step unless some other
test element is updating one of the values.

Posted by Jörg Godau <J....@schuetze-berlin.de>.
> What about "Update once per iteration" - is that selected or not?

Not selected.

> And where is the User Parameter Pre-Processor in the test plan?
> Is it in scope of multiple samplers?

Sorry I'm not sure I understand the question. I've provided a screenshot of our test plan in the "testplan.png" attachment. Does that help or do you need some other information?

> Remember that Pre-Processors are processed before every sample that is
> in scope.

??

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Godau <J....@schuetze-berlin.de>.
Hello all,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Godau <J....@schuetze-berlin.de>.
Hello Deepak, hello all,

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
I havent observed problems with User Parameters . Use a debug sampler or
modifying the sampler name to include the values of user.id and
resource.file , can you check that your variables are always in step(the
user id, the resource file and the record) .
 If there isnt a problem with your script , then there might be a problem
with the Jmeter function.  However since you say that this problem exists
even for a single thread Im inclined to think that the problem is in your
script.

regards
deepak