Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by MikeF73 <mi...@forrest.name> on 2008/04/10 05:55:20 UTC

"Duplex" problems

I have two brokers (call them A and B), where A establishes a connection to B
with the options:
duplex="true" networkTTL="3" dynamicOnly="true"

I have two clients connecting to broker A, and one to B.  One of the clients
on A is subscribing to a queue, the other is publishing to it.  The client
on B is not using that queue at all.  When the publishing client sends a
message, the subscriber receives it as expected.  But if I watch the network
with a sniffer, I can see the message being sent to broker B and back again.

I also set up a topic that all of the clients subscribe to.  If a client on
A sends a message to the topic, the client on B receives it normally, but
the two clients on A receive the message twice.  I can see with the sniffer
that the message is being sent from A to B and back.

If I change the connection so that it's not duplex (i.e. I set up matching
simplex connections on both brokers) all of this unexpected behavior goes
away.  In the first example, the messages are no longer forwarded to B since
there are no subscribers on that broker.  In the second example, the message
is received once by every subscriber.

Did I misconfigure my duplex connection somehow?  I can run it with the two
simplex connections for now since I'm in a test environment, but I'm going
to need to move to duplex for production.

Thanks!

Re: "Duplex" problems

Posted by MikeF73 <mi...@forrest.name>.
Done, thanks for the reply.

Re: "Duplex" problems

Posted by ttmdev <jo...@ttmsolutions.com>.
The "duplex" feature has had its issues :(  I think you'll find that if you
set networkTTL to 1, the topic consumer(s) on broker A will not get
duplicate messages. However, even with networkTTL set to greater than 1,
broker B should not be sending messages back to where they came from.

Re your first 'queue' scenario; broker A should definitely not be sending
'queue' messages to broker B especially since you've got dynamicOnly set to
true.

You should open a JIRA for this.

Joe
Goto www.ttmsolutions.com for a free ActiveMQ user guide

Re: "Duplex" problems

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 13 May 2008, at 17:43, ttmdev wrote:

> I also ran across this issue with the latest 5.1.
>
> Messages bounce back and forth between the 2 brokers via the duplex
> transport until the ttl count expires. The DemandForwardingBridge
> doesn't
> check where the message came from before sending it back off to the
> remote.
> Working on a patch for the corresponding JIRA.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-1661
>
> Joe
> Get a free ActiveMQ user guide at www.ttmsolutions.com
>

> MikeF73 wrote:
>>
>> I have two brokers (call them A and B), where A establishes a
>> connection
>> to B with the options:
>> duplex="true" networkTTL="3" dynamicOnly="true"
>>
>> I have two clients connecting to broker A, and one to B.  One of the
>> clients on A is subscribing to a queue, the other is publishing to
>> it.
>> The client on B is not using that queue at all.  When the publishing
>> client sends a message, the subscriber receives it as expected.
>> But if I
>> watch the network with a sniffer, I can see the message being sent to
>> broker B and back again.
>>
>> I also set up a topic that all of the clients subscribe to.  If a
>> client
>> on A sends a message to the topic, the client on B receives it
>> normally,
>> but the two clients on A receive the message twice.  I can see with
>> the
>> sniffer that the message is being sent from A to B and back.
>>
>> If I change the connection so that it's not duplex (i.e. I set up
>> matching
>> simplex connections on both brokers) all of this unexpected
>> behavior goes
>> away.  In the first example, the messages are no longer forwarded
>> to B
>> since there are no subscribers on that broker.  In the second
>> example, the
>> message is received once by every subscriber.
>>
>> Did I misconfigure my duplex connection somehow?  I can run it with
>> the
>> two simplex connections for now since I'm in a test environment,
>> but I'm
>> going to need to move to duplex for production.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> EDIT: this is the 5.1 4/8/08 snapshot

Hi Joe,

I'm currently down to fix this - when I get a chance - but if you
submit a patch in the mean time I'll be grateful!

cheers,

Rob

http://open.iona.com/products/enterprise-activemq
http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/