Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> on 2006/11/02 06:58:38 UTC

How to get a source OFBiz release WAS: [VOTE] OFBiz Test Snapshot Release: 4.0.0 TS5

Hi all,

based on past comments in this list I'd like to add that this is a
pre-built release (e.g. the objects and Derby demo database are already
set up and packaged in the distribution); we did this because it can
take up to 20 minutes (with slower hardware) to build the whole project
from scratch and this could waste too much of your (and that of the
persons that just want to give a look at it) time.
However, if you want to play with a clean source distribution (for
example, if you want to run the RAT tool etc...), just run the
"clean-all" ant script: all the objects and the db will be removed.

Jacopo

Re: How to get a source OFBiz release WAS: [VOTE] OFBiz Test Snapshot Release: 4.0.0 TS5

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Unless we change the name to "open binary", I'm going to agree with
Robert and Justin. Source releases are "what we're about" here.

Craig

On Nov 4, 2006, at 10:10 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On 11/4/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> the same way it's used for any other project: as a record of the
>> exact
>> source that created the binary distributions. the source is the
>> release. the binaries are conveniences for users.
>
> +1.  -- justin

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: How to get a source OFBiz release WAS: [VOTE] OFBiz Test Snapshot Release: 4.0.0 TS5

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 11/4/06, David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com> wrote:

> Robert, others interested,
>
> I'm still not sure whether or not we will want to do this going
> forward because I'm not sure how a source distribution would be used
> for a project like OFBiz.

the same way it's used for any other project: as a record of the exact
source that created the binary distributions. the source is the
release. the binaries are conveniences for users.

> Still, if there is any demand for it then I agree we should do it.

there's already demand from people on this list. we like source :-)

in addition, downstream packagers prefer source distributions so they
can patch and package them for their particular target platforms.

- robert

Re: How to get a source OFBiz release WAS: [VOTE] OFBiz Test Snapshot Release: 4.0.0 TS5

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
Robert, others interested,

I'm still not sure whether or not we will want to do this going
forward because I'm not sure how a source distribution would be used
for a project like OFBiz. Still, if there is any demand for it then I
agree we should do it.

However we go in the future, this would be a good thing to include in
our Test Snapshot process, so I've added src distribution files for
this release.

They are listed on the release page here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/wAE

For convenience I'll including the URLs below as well.

Thanks again to everyone for reviewing this and for help in moving
OFBiz through the incubation process.

-David

http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-incubating-
src-4.0.0.TS5.tgz