Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by kyle koss <kk...@xperient.net> on 2002/09/23 23:10:16 UTC

turning off storeJanitor

I want to know if it's possible to disable the storeJanitor, as I would
like the JVM to manage the garbage collection itself. We are using
jdk1.4, and I have read that it is actually more efficient to do it this
way, and that calls to the gc in a program can actually slow it down.

Please advise,
Thanx

Kyle

Re: turning off storeJanitor

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
kyle koss wrote:

>I want to know if it's possible to disable the storeJanitor, as I would
>like the JVM to manage the garbage collection itself. We are using
>jdk1.4, and I have read that it is actually more efficient to do it this
>way, and that calls to the gc in a program can actually slow it down.

Who told you that StoreJanitor calls gc? :)

Anyway, set cleanupthreadinterval high enough, freememory low enough,
and it won't bother you. Just make sure you don't have large maxobjects
(cache-transient's parameter) and you have enough memory.

Vadim