Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <da...@hawk-systems.com> on 2003/07/11 06:45:53 UTC

[users@httpd] warn/error child processes not exiting around log rotation time

[Fri Jul 11 00:01:05 2003] [warn] child process 34398 still did not exit,
sending a SIGTERM
[Fri Jul 11 00:01:05 2003] [warn] child process 36992 still did not exit,
sending a SIGTERM
[Fri Jul 11 00:01:09 2003] [error] child process 34398 still did not exit,
sending a SIGKILL
[Fri Jul 11 00:01:09 2003] [error] child process 36992 still did not exit,
sending a SIGKILL
[Fri Jul 11 00:01:09 2003] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down

give the time, I am assuming this has something to do wit the fact that I
rotated and renamed the log files around that time and some of the child
processes werent finished writing to them?

should we stop the server, rotate the logs, then restart rather than the current
method which is rotate, stop, restart?

thanks

Dave

Re: [users@httpd] redirecting http:// to https://

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 vic@summerseas.com wrote:
> > Create a new <VirtualHost> block for www.summerseas.com on port 80 and
> > include a "Redirect / https://webmail.sumerseas.com/".  If your existing
> > port 80 host is not a virtual host, you'll need to also add a
> > <virtualhost> block for that host and a NameVirtualHost * directive.
> >
> > Joshua.
> >
> Thanks Joshua,
>
> Sorry, if I use www.summerseas.com, I actually want www.summerseas.com.
> What I'm trying to force is the use of SSL for webmail even if I type http
> instead of https.

That was just a typo on my part -- you need to do a little extrapolation
;-)

To be more specific:

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.summerseas.com
DocumentRoot /same/as/in/main/documentroot
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName webmail.summerseas.com
Redirect / https://webmail.summerseas.com/
</VirtualHost>

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] redirecting http:// to https://

Posted by vi...@summerseas.com.

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 vic@summerseas.com wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an apache 1.3.x server with ssl enabled and a
>> virtual server
>> listening on port 443 called webmail.summerseas.com.
>>
>> https://webmail.summerseas.com works but
>> http://webmail.summerseas.com
>> gives me the default server which is www.summerseas.com.
>>
>> How can I make http://webmail redirect to https://webmail ?
>
> Create a new <VirtualHost> block for www.summerseas.com on port 80 and
> include a "Redirect / https://webmail.sumerseas.com/".  If your existing
> port 80 host is not a virtual host, you'll need to also add a
> <virtualhost> block for that host and a NameVirtualHost * directive.
>
> Joshua.

Thanks Joshua,

Sorry, if I use www.summerseas.com, I actually want www.summerseas.com.
What I'm trying to force is the use of SSL for webmail even if I type http
instead of https.

Vic

Re: [users@httpd] redirecting http:// to https://

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
You must have the statement: VirtualHost *:80 and VirtualHost *:443 or
NameVirtualHost *:80 and NameVirtualHost *:443 in order to define between
the two different VirtualHosts settings otherwise you'll get the first Vhost
that is shown in your conf file.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen
Support@GEJ-IT.com
Tel. (416) 917-2324
www.GEJ-IT.com
GEJ-IT Networks!

RE: [users@httpd] warn/error child processes not exiting around log rotation time

Posted by Aaron Morris <aa...@mindspring.com>.
This probably has nothing to do with rotating the logs, but more or less
because you are restarting the server processes.  The child processes
themselves do not actually log anything to the log files, the parent
apache process does this (in fact, the log files should be set
specifically so that the child processes may not write to them).

I have seen this before, and I believe this is what happens:  When you
stop an apache instance, the parent processes sends a signal to the
child processes to exit when they have completed with their current
request.  If the processes are still serving requests or are "stuck" and
do not die after a certain time period, then the parent process takes
more extreme measures to kill the processes.

I am not quite sure why one would restart apache when rotating logs.  I
read something about it on the apache site, but it never really
explained why you need to restart it.  I basically just copy the log to
a temp location for processing or compression and then just ">logfile"
which basically erases the contents.  Never had a problem doing it that
way, perhaps someone could enlighten me to why this would be a "bad idea".

--
Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com> (decep)
PGP Key ID:  259978D1

RE: [users@httpd] warn/error child processes not exiting around log rotation time