Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Nenad Samardzic <ne...@thehackerati.com> on 2015/05/22 16:46:39 UTC

Beeline command issues

Hi all,

I am new to Hive and hopefully this is going to be an easy thing to solve
for someone with more experience, but I am having trouble doing it on my
own.

On my EC2 app server I am running the following command with no error:
*beeline -u jdbc:hive2://master*
This is working on Hive 13 which was installed through a bootstrap action
using the latest AMI version. 'master' is pointing to my EMR cluster

Then I downloaded the source for Hive 14 and built it. I have replaced my
/home/hadoop/hive directory with the package that was built.
However, if I try to execute the same command, I get an error:
*scan complete in 6ms*
*Connecting to jdbc:hive2://master*
*Error: Could not open client transport with JDBC Uri: jdbc:hive2://master:
Cannot open without port. (state=08S01,code=0)*
*Beeline version 0.14.0 by Apache Hive*
*0: jdbc:hive2://master (closed)> *

Running it with the port provided works correctly:
*beeline -u jdbc:hive2://master:10000*

I would like to be able to able to run the command without providing the
default port number.
Can anyone direct me with an instruction.

Thanks,