Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Dan Smith <da...@vmware.com> on 2020/11/30 19:07:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] - Use Java 11 for geode-examples

A contributor submitted a PR[1] to our geode examples project that uses Java 11 APIs. It doesn't pass travis because we're still building the examples with Java 8.

I think it might be reasonable to switch the minimum java version of the examples to Java 11. If there are no objections, I'll go ahead and create a PR to switch the java version we use to build the examples.

[1] https://github.com/apache/geode-examples/pull/104

Re: [DISCUSS] - Use Java 11 for geode-examples

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
This sounds harmless, although since JDK8 remains the maximum version to compile Geode, this mean anyone that wants build both geode and geode-examples will now have to install multiple JDKs and flip back and forth between.  And how will geode-examples composite builds work, where geode and geode-examples are compiled together from a single gradle invocation[1]?

Is it worth exploring whether the new examples could simply be converted to JDK8 for now, perhaps using Spring’s RestTemplate instead of JDK11 libraries?

By the way the rc pipeline[2] has been building and running geode examples with JDK 11 since 1.12 (using Geode from maven, not composite), and in fact JDK11 has been supported for much longer (I tried JDK11 a few years ago with Geode 1.8 and it worked fine).

[1] https://github.com/apache/geode-examples/blob/develop/build.gradle#L26
[2] https://concourse.apachegeode-ci.info/teams/main/pipelines/apache-support-1-13-rc/jobs/run-geode-examples-jdk11/builds/4

From: Dan Smith <da...@vmware.com>
Date: Monday, November 30, 2020 at 11:08 AM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
Subject: [DISCUSS] - Use Java 11 for geode-examples

[1] https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fapache%2Fgeode-examples%2Fpull%2F104&amp;data=04%7C01%7Conichols%40vmware.com%7C499b91b33e9543f6905c08d895634707%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637423600917567469%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=G88EXYKAH3Vd7CG1XJCYM6fY6VsK2XxZUjmAdo8Q89I%3D&amp;reserved=0