Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2016/02/19 17:50:50 UTC

[QUESTION] Karma for www.openoffice.org contribution and editing

We have arrangements for non-committers to contribute to the CWiki and the MediaWiki, even the project Blog.

In terms of requesting Help Wanted on topics related to www.openoffice.org, is there a similar prospect or must all contribution to the web site be by committers?

I have always used the SVN, so I understand what that requires.  Is there another avenue that does not require so much karma, but might require approval and kick-off by a committer?

(This came to mind because the first Help Wanted item that occurred to me was for getting the Help Wanted script up on our How to Contribute page and perhaps some other places.)

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    orcmid@apache.org
    dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail

Re: [QUESTION] Karma for www.openoffice.org contribution and editing

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 02/19/2016 08:50 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> We have arrangements for non-committers to contribute to the
> CWiki and the MediaWiki, even the project Blog.
>
> In terms of requesting Help Wanted on topics related to
> www.openoffice.org, is there a similar prospect or must all
> contribution to the web site be by committers?
>
> I have always used the SVN, so I understand what that requires.
> Is there another avenue that does not require so much karma, but
> might require approval and kick-off by a committer?
>
> (This came to mind because the first Help Wanted item that
> occurred to me was for getting the Help Wanted script up on our
> How to Contribute page and perhaps some other places.)
>
> -- Dennis E. Hamilton orcmid@apache.org dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> +1-206-779-9430 https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456
> 628A X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail

There's a small bit of information on how to use the CMS bookmarklet
to do this from here:

http://openoffice.apache.org/website-local.html#using-the-apache-cms-bookmarklet-simpler-method

This has been used very successfully in the past by non-committers
for smaller changes (like a single page change.)
Notifications come to "dev" where they can be reviewed and committed.

Further down, there is more information for non-committers. This
takes you the Developer FAQ and goes into svn and patch submission,
etc. I would think this would be preferable for larger edits.