Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Dickie <gr...@max-t.com> on 2003/04/01 15:19:32 UTC

ViewCVS

Hi,

  2 stupid questions. sorry.

1. Subversion seems to be slowing down for us these days. Commands that used
to be blazingly quick can now be very slow. Haven't really changed anything
so I'm wondering if database size can affect speed. WE don't have that many
versions and the biggest repository is only 150M. Anything that I should look
at specifically.

2. I see that there is a way to get ViewCVS to work with subversion. I don't
see any subversion awareness in the usual ViewCVS .tgz so where does that
come from?

TIA,
Greg
--
Greg Dickie
just a guy

Re: ViewCVS

Posted by Lele Gaifax <le...@seldati.it>.

    Greg> Hi,

    Greg>   2 stupid questions. sorry.

Well, you cannot believe that's true, or what are doing here? :)

    Greg> 2. I see that there is a way to get ViewCVS to work with
    Greg> subversion. I don't see any subversion awareness in the
    Greg> usual ViewCVS .tgz so where does that come from?

You need to extract the current CVS HEAD out of viewcvs.sf.net to get
a relatively mature SVN support.

bye, lele.
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax	| Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas	| comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.

Re: ViewCVS

Posted by Greg Dickie <gr...@max-t.com>.
On Tuesday 01 April 2003 01:29 pm, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Greg Dickie <gr...@max-t.com> writes:
> > 1. Subversion seems to be slowing down for us these days. Commands
> > that used to be blazingly quick can now be very slow. Haven't really
> > changed anything so I'm wondering if database size can affect
> > speed.
>
> Have you removed old, unused logfiles from the repository?

err. no. But I was looking in the manual this morning for stuff standard
maintenance stuff like that.

> How about your repository checkpointing options?

never touched them.

> Can you be more specific?

no. ;-)
A couple of users have commented (and I had noticed itmyself) that doing ops
like co,ls or log seemed slower in the last little while. I looked at the
server during some checkouts and I didn't see anything obvious. The httpd
process came to the top of the list but never took more than 10% of the CPU
so I'm just starting to look at what can have this effect in subversion.
ClearCase got slow if you had too many labels or versions so I'm wondering
what the deal is with Berkley DB. Is it too many versions? Individual file
sizes (eg: should we keep thirdparty .tgz's in there)?  Total DB size?

This is far from a critical problem right now but I suspect it will only get
worse until I figure out what kind of clean-up or vacuum or whatever I should
be doing to keep things lean and mean.

Thanks for the response,
regards,
Greg

--
Greg Dickie
just a guy

Re: ViewCVS

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: ViewCVS

Posted by Greg Dickie <gr...@max-t.com>.
On Tuesday 01 April 2003 12:50 pm, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Greg Dickie <gr...@max-t.com> writes:
> > 1. Subversion seems to be slowing down for us these days. Commands that
> > used to be blazingly quick can now be very slow. Haven't really changed
> > anything so I'm wondering if database size can affect speed. WE don't
> > have that many versions and the biggest repository is only 150M. Anything
> > that I should look at specifically.
>
> Can you identify some operations that used to be fast and now feel
> slower?  And which RA layer you're using? I realize it may be hard to
> give exact timings, of course.

Hi,

  We are using http access. Most repository operations empirically feel slower
(eg: log,ls,co). For some reason commit seems ok.

--
Greg Dickie
just a guy

Re: ViewCVS