Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Tilghman Lesher <Ti...@vanderbilt.edu> on 1998/07/02 00:05:57 UTC

config/2540: apache signals error on symlink in path

>Number:         2540
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       apache signals error on symlink in path
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Currently, /usr/local is a symlink to /export/home/usr/local; this
was done for a number of reasons, such as the fact that this machine
is a demo machine and my manager isn't keen on relying on it for core
network functions.  Hence, the machine cannot be expanded for financial
reasons.
Apache httpd signals an invalid symlink in the logfile and sends 403
to any client attempting to access /index.html
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
If the base path contains no symlinks (such as pointing to
/export/home/usr/local/apache instead of /usr/local/apache ), this
problem does not surface.  However, this is more of a workaround than
a fix to a bug.