Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stuart Farnan <st...@neoworks.com> on 2000/10/03 15:52:01 UTC

NullPointerException

Hi,

I am using Tomcat version 3.1 and Apache v1.3.12.  I am using mod_jserv to
communicate between the two, however when I try to run a jsp page I get the
following error on the tomcat window.

HANDLER THREAD PROBLEM: java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.handleError(ContextManager.java:644)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:566)
        at
Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:156)
        at
)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

I have set up the tomcat-apache.conf file to load the appropriate things,
and have let apache know what requests to forward to Tomcat.  I guess this
is working as Tomcat gets the final requests and then it breaks as above.  I
have also set the server.xml file in the tomcat distribution to know about
the same project as I have set up in the tomcat-apache.conf file, so I am
unsure of anything I have done wrong.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this error before, or if I am doing
something wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Re: NullPointerException

Posted by Jon Skeet <jo...@peramon.com>.
> I am using Tomcat version 3.1 and Apache v1.3.12.  I am using mod_jserv to
> communicate between the two, however when I try to run a jsp page I get the
> following error on the tomcat window.
>

> HANDLER THREAD PROBLEM: java.lang.NullPointerException
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.handleError(ContextManager.java:644)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:566)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection
> Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:156)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:338
> )
>
> I have set up the tomcat-apache.conf file to load the appropriate things,
> and have let apache know what requests to forward to Tomcat.  I guess this
> is working as Tomcat gets the final requests and then it breaks as above.  I
> have also set the server.xml file in the tomcat distribution to know about
> the same project as I have set up in the tomcat-apache.conf file, so I am
> unsure of anything I have done wrong.
>
> I am wondering if anyone has seen this error before, or if I am doing
> something wrong.

I had exactly the same thing recently. Try adding a context called just
"" - it doesn't matter where it maps to. That should give you a better
error message elsewhere.

You may be interested to know that the jserv mounting routine doesn't really
work on Tomcat 3.1 as far as I've found:

ApJServMount /url /zone

should tell /url to use context path /zone, but it doesn't - you'd need
a /url context path :(

Jon